Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 24 Server Plans To Drop i686 Support

Phoronix: Fedora 24 Server Plans To Drop i686 Support

Besides the recent call to drop i686 from being a primary Fedora release architecture so that i686-specific issues wouldn't be release blockers, the Fedora Server SIG is planning to drop i686 entirely with Fedora 24...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i686 needed to die for over 10 years now it's about time even Linus is blocking 32bit code for 64 bit

Comment

FWIW, the "network install" media for WORKSTATION should still be able to generate a SERVER i686 install. Initially, they ONLY had server net install images and recommended those for WORKSTATION net installs, but then they added workstation netinstall. The differences amount to labels.

Comment

IMO they should drop i686 Arch for Workstation an Plasma an other images also. people have had plenty of time to update to 64bit PC.

Comment

The incompatibility concerns with some legacy x86 machines was sometimes given as reason to not support 32-bit UEFI (on 64-bit CPUs).

Hopefully with the phasing out of i686, this problem can be addressed now.

Comment

well until Steam (amongst others) supports 64-bit, don't we still need i686 libs from somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by finite9 View Post
              well until Steam (amongst others) supports 64-bit, don't we still need i686 libs from somewhere?
              Yes, and existing installs also need i686 packages for updates, so they are only planning to drop i686 install media for the moment. In the future probably the i686 base packages will eventually get dropped (so no more updates for existing installs), but compatibility packages for Steam etc. might be around for a while.

Comment

Working...
              X