Fedora 24 Still Planning For Wayland By Default, Still Some Work Left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 24 Still Planning For Wayland By Default, Still Some Work Left

Phoronix: Fedora 24 Still Planning For Wayland By Default, Still Some Work Left

Christian Schaller of Red Hat has written a lengthy blog post today about a Wayland update following a BoF from this year's GNOME GUADEC conference. There's still some major work left to be tackled before Wayland is ready to replace X, but the plan is still to make the default switch for Fedora 24 Workstation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the main things stopping me from using Wayland as my main desktop is the relative pointer/confinement/locking and no Nvidia Drivers for Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
      the main things stopping me from using Wayland as my main desktop is the relative pointer/confinement/locking and no Nvidia Drivers for Wayland

this plus some stuff that need to be implemented in WL. (according to the E guys at least)

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
        no Nvidia Drivers for Wayland
        just don't buy nvidia. it's that simple

Comment

At least by the time Fedora 24 is out, the AMDGPU work will be complete (or mostly so) so that the binary blob as well as the FOSS driver will work with Wayland (and new kernels)

Poor Nvidia users probably won't have a working Wayland-compatable blob for another two years or so

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            just don't buy nvidia. it's that simple
            what makes you think AMD are any better? there not,

Comment

The most notable issue on Wayland for me is that a black border appears around XWayland windows when I resize them.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

what makes you think AMD are any better? there not,
                AMD's Mesa drivers work just fine with Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  the plan is still to make the default switch for Fedora 24 Workstation
                  Just a few months ago the plan was Fedora 23.

Comment

Last time I read a similar post here, they were saying that it will happen in F22...

Comment

Working...
                    X