Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Becomes A 501(c)(3) Non-Profit

Phoronix: LLVM Becomes A 501(c)(3) Non-Profit

Last year Apple spun off LLVM into its own foundation so this leading open-source compiler stack can be treated as its own entity. Today the project announced they've been granted 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Status by the US IRS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Somewhat unrelated, is it true that in the USA basically everything you buy (from stores etc) you have to pay a tax yourself because the tax is not included in the price?

In Europe you don't have to worry about that cause pretty much all items are sold with the tax included (forgot what the tax is called).

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Somewhat unrelated, is it true that in the USA basically everything you buy (from stores etc) you have to pay a tax yourself because the tax is not included in the price?

In Europe you don't have to worry about that cause pretty much all items are sold with the tax included (forgot what the tax is called).
      Right, the respective sales tax is on top of whatever the sticker/sign says in the store. For states that do sales tax (most of them) the tax is like 6~10% more.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

This is true in Canada as well. Lets say that the price tag says $199.99, so the receipt looks like this:

$199.99 - Moto G
        + $9.99 - 5% PST
        + $9.99 - 5% GST
        ________
        $219.99 Total
        Last edited by profoundWHALE; 20 August 2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

In Canada it's more 5% and 10% (instead of both 5%, but it depends on the product you buy, for instance there are no taxes on vegetables).

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
            In Canada it's more 5% and 10% (instead of both 5%, but it depends on the product you buy, for instance there are no taxes on vegetables).
            In Canada it's 5% GST (federal), and whatever PST the province wants to charge. Provincial exemptions may differ from federal exemptions so you may only pay one or the other. Some provinces combine the GST and PST into a single sales tax called HST, in which case their is no tax on anything exempt federally, and some constant amount > 5% on everything else. In Ontario (where I live) the HST is 13%. We use to have a situation like Europe where goods were taxed on the production side instead of the retail side via the Manufacturers Sales Tax, but that was swapped in 1991, allegedly to help exports (along with NAFTA).

It is a bit sneaky that retailers don't have to advertise the after tax price, but shouldn't really impact the overall price of the item - or at least that's what first year university Economics told me. How it pans out in practice isn't something I've studied.

Comment

Sales tax is 11% where I live; hence why I prefer to shop on Amazon as tax is exempt on online orders.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post

In Canada it's 5% GST (federal), and whatever PST the province wants to charge. Provincial exemptions may differ from federal exemptions so you may only pay one or the other. Some provinces combine the GST and PST into a single sales tax called HST, in which case their is no tax on anything exempt federally, and some constant amount > 5% on everything else. In Ontario (where I live) the HST is 13%. We use to have a situation like Europe where goods were taxed on the production side instead of the retail side via the Manufacturers Sales Tax, but that was swapped in 1991, allegedly to help exports (along with NAFTA).

It is a bit sneaky that retailers don't have to advertise the after tax price, but shouldn't really impact the overall price of the item - or at least that's what first year university Economics told me. How it pans out in practice isn't something I've studied.
                I has been in Toronto for months a few years back (for a business reason). I was shocked as the sales tax is quite high (comparing to 7% in Thailand which I'm living in) and it's not included in the tagged price. It's a bit hard at first as I had to calculate the net price myself rather than have everying calculated in the price tag. I had the impression that the stuffs here are not as expensive as where I live until I went to the cashier to pay lol. Also I have to carry a lot of changes/coins as net amount usually results in having pennies included in the price (we usually uses only bank notes to pay for higher priced stuffs here).

Comment

VAT: Value Added Taxes
                  MWT: Mehrwertsteuer
                  BTW: Belasting (op de) toegevoegde waarde
                  In germany 19%, in the Netherlands 21%.
                  I think it goes op to 26% in europe.
                  In europe consumers are protected in that the vendor has to show prices with VAT included to consumers, and they can only show it without VAT to businesses. If the vendor forgets the VAT, it is his loss. Because it just makes no sense to not show the consumers the real prices.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post

I don't get this, what is sneaky about keeping the tax separate from the retail price of the item? If you live in the country you ought to be able to grasp the tax structure and realize there is almost always some extra to pay.

Comment

Working...
                    X