Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Extreme Cases Where A Sub-$200 NVIDIA GPU Can Beat A $550+ AMD R9 Fury On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Extreme Cases Where A Sub-$200 NVIDIA GPU Can Beat A $550+ AMD R9 Fury On Linux

Phoronix: The Extreme Cases Where A Sub-$200 NVIDIA GPU Can Beat A $550+ AMD R9 Fury On Linux

Given the current state of the AMD Catalyst Linux driver, there exists games on Linux that will run with this closed-source Radeon driver but where the performance of a EVGA GeForce GTX 950 FTW that retails for $180 USD can exceed the performance of a AMD Radeon R9 Fury that sells for more than $550 USD. Here's some of those cases where -- given the current state of Catalyst on Linux -- the OpenGL performance is so far down the gutter.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pretty standard for both of those games. Bioshock and Dirt both run worse than bad on AMD hardware. Lets hope the new driver setup will fix it eventually. This is pretty much a non-story though.

Comment

amd; hot,sad story

Comment

I'd like to hear our friendly neighborhood AMD guy's (bridgman) take on this.

What can (or is) being done to make performance more compeitive on Linux?

Comment

Where are you tiger team?!?!

Comment

Does anyone else see the optical illusion with the fans on the 950?

Comment

I wonder if there will come the day when gaming on linux won't sucks anymore.

Comment

And he wonders why he doesn't get product samples from AMD any more....

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                  And he wonders why he doesn't get product samples from AMD any more....
                  AMD stopped sending out product samples long before the driver situation got this bad / long before there was even Steam on Linux even... the last product launch where I dealt with AMD directly (as opposed to any review samples from AIBs) was I think the Radeon HD 6800.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I wonder why you even mess with AMD than... Every normal linux gamer has nvidia graphics

Comment

Working...
                    X