Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's KWin Doesn't Plan To Use The Vulkan Graphics API

Phoronix: KDE's KWin Doesn't Plan To Use The Vulkan Graphics API

KDE developer Martin Gr??lin explained today that he has no plans on making use of Vulkan within KDE's compositor / window manager...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As say, vulkan trade lot of developping time again performance. Firstly kwin should continue the very needed dev: wayland/Qt5... after support OpenGL3/4... and this will be greate.
    Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

I don't think it would add anything to move a DE over to Vulkan, so I think it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        I don't think it would add anything to move a DE over to Vulkan, so I think it makes sense.
        Agreed. Vulkan is about lowering the CPU overhead, but KWin isn't a stressful 3D application at all. It might, at some point, be the case that going for Vulkan on mobile may save some battery life. But just as Martin said, it will be a while.

Comment

I'm pretty sure KWin does support OpenGL 3.1

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            I was thinking the same thing. OpenGL and ES support is definitely good enough; supporting Vulkan is just 1 more thing to maintain, which KDE doesn't need.

Comment

The DE's, IE; Gnome, KDE, Unity, ECT should just focus on making their OpenGL work well and optimize it so when OpenGL over Vulcan arrives, it'll work well.

Comment

Agree, specially since Vulkan is very-low level.
                It's going to be much more work than the avarage Kwin back-end, because a potential Vulkan back-end will need to micr-manage much more.
                It's good if you need to tweak a batshit crazy performance out a high end game engine that needs to render as many highly realistic object as fast as possible in a multitrhead context.
                But not that useful just for compositing a few windows.

KWin is definitely NOT the audience that Vulkan/Direct12/Mantle/Metal/etc. were geared to.

Comment

I think going to Vulkan probably benefit a thing or two, but it would not worth the afford. Beside the availability of the driver is a valid point.

If it is really beneficial then someone might come up with an implementation.

Comment

It's more likely that when KDE feel like they need a new compositor, they will use Vulkan. But KWin will probably forever stay OpenGL.

Comment

Working...
                    X