Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 7.0 RC1 Released, PHP 7 Final Comes Closer

Phoronix: PHP 7.0 RC1 Released, PHP 7 Final Comes Closer

The first release candidate is out today for PHP 7.0 and it marks the sixth pre-release for the PHP 7 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Actually, the plan is to release it November 12:

Comment

PHP chokes on the UTF-8 BOM character.

PHP lacks support for class/method/property decorators which is supported by other languages such as Python, Java, C#, etc.

Comment

I like the combined comparison operator, best ting to happen since short hand array definitions.

uid313 are you only here to complain?

Comment

AJenbo I think he is

Moreover, it's still way simpler to startup a web project in PHP than in any of the languages you're quoting uid313.

Comment

@AJenbo,
            kinda. What is this new comparison operator?

@Creak,
            true, that is actually one real good thing about PHP.
            I still do code in PHP, and I really appreciate that it works.
            I do code in other languages too, but in Python there is WSGI while Ruby have Rack, and .NET have OWIN, and there so many different ways, and web many application frameworks even use different ones, because a language don't have one standard web interface.
            With PHP, its just FastCGI.

It would be cool of all languages adopted one web interface. Maybe OWIN.

I been coding PHP for 15 years, but its not a pleasant experience compared to other languages which has more language constructs to aid the developer.

Comment

uid313: I agree, what I especially don't like in these web languages is that it's not strongly typed. That is mainly why I'm really interested in HHVM and might use it in a near future. I'm a C++ programmer in my job and a web dev as a hobby and I can pass on the inexistent memory management in PHP, but the lack of types is really bothering me. It's like a bad good idea to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                ... but the lack of types is really bothering me. It's like a bad good idea to me.
                In PHP7, you get the middle-ground. You can set your types and it will trigger warnings, which you can then go about and handle. You can even treat the warnings as fatal and have the entire thing die on you, just like normal

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Silverblood View Post

In PHP7, you get the middle-ground. You can set your types and it will trigger warnings, which you can then go about and handle. You can even treat the warnings as fatal and have the entire thing die on you, just like normal
                  I wouldn't call it the middle-ground. There's a lot more to types than the basic functionality provided by C or Java. I still prefer Haskell or Agda.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                    but the lack of types is really bothering me. It's like a bad good idea to me.
                    With PHP7 you can do:

PHP Code:
                    function some_function (int $varbool $var2string $var3float $var4) : int
                    {
                        return 
                    1;

Comment

Working...
                    X