Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.7.50 Starts Working On Direct3D 11 Support

Phoronix: Wine 1.7.50 Starts Working On Direct3D 11 Support

Wine 1.7.50 is a very exciting development update to this free software project for running Windows programs/games on Linux and other operating systems. Wine 1.7.50 starts its Direct3D 11 implementation!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I read that Mantle, Vulkan and DirectX 12 are all very similar APIs.

Couldn't Vulkan and DirectX 12 development be started simultaneously by a group and share code and stuff?

Comment

If they are similar, we can hope that wrappers should actually work really well thought

Comment

I honestly feel like this is too little too late. DX12 is now already being utilized, and hopefully Vulkan isn't too far off, yet Wine is taking it's first baby crawls in Direct3D 11 (D3D10 support, where'd you go?).

I'm grateful they've finally started, but it feels like a reactive course due to being pushed aside by all the recent high end native ports and possibility of being forgotten rather than a proactive course. For so long they felt DX11 wasn't worth it, now it actually almost seems like it.

I truly hope they go full steam ahead, and not just dabble in it for the next couple of years. I've been an active purchaser of CrossOver for Linux, but I haven't bought this years version as I've felt it wasn't worth the price for the first time.

Comment

This is good news. However, what about Direct3D 10? Is that even functioning yet for any games in Wine? As for DirectX 12 support..don't even think about it. Considering DX 10 is nearly 9 years old and still not supported, I don't suspect we'll see any DirectX 12 support in Wine for at least 10 years (if ever). The Wine team just needs more developers is the problem. Too much work on their plate with a small team comprised mainly of Codeweavers employees and some FOSS contributors.

Comment

It's about ****ing time.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
              This is good news. However, what about Direct3D 10? Is that even functioning yet for any games in Wine? As for DirectX 12 support..don't even think about it. Considering DX 10 is nearly 9 years old and still not supported, I don't suspect we'll see any DirectX 12 support in Wine for at least 10 years (if ever). The Wine team just needs more developers is the problem. Too much work on their plate with a small team comprised mainly of Codeweavers employees and some FOSS contributors.
              I'm going to start working on an DX12 implementation, once Vulkan is available (and push it to wine-staging)
              Last edited by SvenK; 21 August 2015, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
                I honestly feel like this is too little too late. DX12 is now already being utilized, and hopefully Vulkan isn't too far off, yet Wine is taking it's first baby crawls in Direct3D 11 (D3D10 support, where'd you go?).

I'm grateful they've finally started, but it feels like a reactive course due to being pushed aside by all the recent high end native ports and possibility of being forgotten rather than a proactive course. For so long they felt DX11 wasn't worth it, now it actually almost seems like it.

I truly hope they go full steam ahead, and not just dabble in it for the next couple of years. I've been an active purchaser of CrossOver for Linux, but I haven't bought this years version as I've felt it wasn't worth the price for the first time.
                Well aside from DirectX 12, there is also the issue of Windows applications moving over to the Store model and the WinRT API. In the distant future, Windows app and game support may not be possible at all on Linux unless the Windows Store protocols can be reverse engineered and/or a method of extracting .APPX files (there is a way for smaller apps) from the Windows Store without installation, copying over to Linux, then developing a WinRT implementation that can understand these APPX packages and future "jailed" Win32 apps from the store.

Comment

Originally posted by SvenK View Post

I'm going to start working on an DX12 implementation, once Vulkan is available (and push it to wine-staging)
                  Do You think the translation between them is going to be expensive computational wise?

Also, really appreciated that You are planning to do this!
                  Thanks in advance!

Comment

You know... At the end of the day, I find it far more likely that gallium state trackers will finish out D3D before Wine gets there, particularly once game devs and wrapper companies catch on that "Hey we can improve the graphics stack". Now if only Intel would switch over to Gallium...

Comment

Working...
                    X