Ubuntu Phone Can Get Toasty & Battery Hungry With Browser Video Playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Phone Can Get Toasty & Battery Hungry With Browser Video Playback

Phoronix: Ubuntu Phone Can Get Toasty & Battery Hungry With Browser Video Playback

Particularly if watching any videos from the web browser with an Ubuntu Phone or using WiFi, your phone's battery can drain quite quickly while the device gets rather warm...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

True. But at least in my case Nexus 7 (LTE) last's longer with it's battery than Meizu MX4. I can play games and watch Youtube videos on my tablet for hours before I need to charge it.
    Also, I don't think N7 has real problems with WiFi, while my MX4 gets drained really fast if WiFi is on even with its screen off.

Comment

no such problem with bq e4.5, this is probaly a driver problem, im using rc-proposed

Comment

I dont have such problems either on my E4.5, battery life is very good and I can play a lot of videos with no battery drain issues. MX4 is fresh on the market and such issues will be fixed in future updates, when I got my E4.5 battery duration wasnt very good either but after a few updates that was fixed.

Comment

My Galaxy S3 lasts longer on wifi. Streaming video uses some battery, but the worst offender is probably the backlight, which tears through some battery even at the lowest setting.

Comment

Was going to edit my comment, but it's not here--guess it's being moderated?
            Anyway, that's my experience on Android 5.1. I'd guess it'd be different on Ubuntu Phone (though maybe not much).

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
              Was going to edit my comment, but it's not here--guess it's being moderated?
              Anyway, that's my experience on Android 5.1. I'd guess it'd be different on Ubuntu Phone (though maybe not much).
              *nothing* can make an s3-ish samsuck screen decent on battery. Pretty crazy given that those amoled's were supposed to be *easy* on battery (at the expense of visual clarity). Real punch in the gut when you have an image output that is so horrible that it makes your eyes bleed, and power suckingness to burn your hand after 5 minutes.

I remember watching the battery meter fall 2% per minute with just the screen on and nothing happening. CPUs idling.

But as for your report, it really isn't relevant for a couple of reasons;
              1) Your phone is super hacked. Samsuck never supported that device past.. what 4.3? 4.2?
              2) This thread is about ubuntu hackedness.

Comment

Working...
              X