Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Open-Source NVIDIA Driver Going Through A Big Rework

Phoronix: Nouveau Open-Source NVIDIA Driver Going Through A Big Rework

While Linux 4.2 isn't bringing any notable Nouveau changes, it looks like for Linux 4.3 there could be quite a heavy rework of the Nouveau DRM driver landing that consists of hundreds of patches to this open-source NVIDIA graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Nouveau
    gr: use NVIDIA-provided external firmwares
    NVIDIA will officially start providing GR firmwares through linux-firmware for GPUs that require it. Change the GR firmware lookup function to use these files.
    Signed-off-by: Alexandre Courbot <[email protected]>
    Signed-off-by: Ben Skeggs <[email protected]>
    Now this is awesome news.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Now this is awesome news.

As far as I know, this firmware is proprietary, which means there are basically no fully free/libre graphics with latest-generation hardware (AMD, Intel [Skylake+], NVIDIA [Maxwell+] all require some kind of blobs on your PC).

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

As far as I know, this firmware is proprietary, which means there are basically no fully free/libre graphics with latest-generation hardware (AMD, Intel [Skylake+], NVIDIA [Maxwell+] all require some kind of blobs on your PC).
        Sad but true.

Comment

It is possible that intel might release the code for their blob - it's pretty much useless for any other processors and would set a lot of people's minds at rest especally after the http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/08/i...sinkhole-flaw/ issue from older chips

Comment

AMD's firmware isn't encrypted or signed so it's possible to replace it.

Comment

It's signed, but not encrypted. You can still analyze the code, just can't change it. (And the falcon ISA is well known by now.) Definitely not great, but encrypted would be so much worse.

Comment

absolutely clueless here.

do there firmware files also provide recklocking or is recklocking still guessing work for Nouveau?

Comment

I don't have a problem with firmware that runs on a manufacturer's hardware. The alternative is to put the firmware into immutable ROM on the device, making it part of the hardware. There would be no blob to load, and all the software on the system would be open source. The downside, of course, is that if you find a bug you have to live with it, or buy new hardware. Even many CPUs have firmware these days.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
                    I don't have a problem with firmware that runs on a manufacturer's hardware. The alternative is to put the firmware into immutable ROM on the device, making it part of the hardware. There would be no blob to load, and all the software on the system would be open source. The downside, of course, is that if you find a bug you have to live with it, or buy new hardware. Even many CPUs have firmware these days.
                    yet, in both cases you're using same blob

it is more like "blob" or "kind of OSS i guess. let me just close one eye" to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X