Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral Interactive Appears To Be Stepping Up Its AMD Linux Game

Phoronix: Feral Interactive Appears To Be Stepping Up Its AMD Linux Game

Feral Interactive Games is assembling some new systems for their Linux porting business and there's a lot of AMD hardware present...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There' a minor typo as the R9 card is a 390 and the GPU in the back is a Sapphire so that's also AMD. Judging from the size of the packaging it looks like a lower end model.

Comment

Are they looking for help?

Comment

Basically the selection is a bit weird. If you need to test drivers then maybe you use pre-fermi (if OpenGL 3.3 is enough) for series 340. Fermi is not supported by DX12 on Win, no idea if you would need to test it. Fermi/Kepler/Maxwell 1 can use 340+, Maxwell 2 needs 343+. So, why would you need a GTX 970 and 980 Ti... For AMD testing a pre RadeonSI card and a current one would be enough. Maybe an APU system as minimum. The r600 based cards seem to use different fglrx optimizations or just get none.

Comment

Higher Res Image (with : orig)

But still not enough to identify the Sapphire card.
          Last edited by ObiWan; 24 August 2015, 11:15 AM.

Comment

There's not much point using AMD CPUs is there.

I guess what they need to do is ensure AMD GPUs are well represented throughout the development process.

Comment

On Windows (not Linux), AMD GPUs are real power houses and easily compete with Nvidia. Their CPUs, however, are crap I'm sad to say. Less energy efficent and slower. Their FX-9590 can be beaten with a mid-range Haswell i5 like the 4670K. Even AMD doesn't use their FX processors when testing their Catalyst drivers with games on Windows because they know crappy CPUs will just become an I/O bottleneck for their top GPUs. IIRC, their Windows driver page shows game benchmark graphs tested with a high-end Core i7 5960K system.

The good news is if AMD stays afloat (I hope) and doesn't get acquired, they have a massive new CPU architecture called Zen planned for 2016. This should make things on the AMD side exciting again.
              Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 24 August 2015, 11:57 AM.

Comment

I believe it's a Sapphire AMD R9 270X. I could be wrong. Here's a reference:
                Last edited by sabun; 24 August 2015, 11:48 AM. Reason: EDIT: Stupid link thing won't work!

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
                  I believe it's a Sapphire AMD R9 270X. I could be wrong. Here's a reference:
                  http://www.vuugo.com/image/cache/dat...-5-600x600.jpg
                  I would speculate it is R9 285 dual X.
                  Since it is GCN v3 and the 270/280 dual X are GCN v1 http://geizhals.de/sapphire-radeon-r...loc=at&hloc=de

Well de Format des not match. The only assumtion that holds is Saphire dual-X r7 250/260/265 up to max 270, the higher number have different size package.
                  Last edited by _ONH_; 24 August 2015, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I hope that they will at least try out gallium nine

Comment

Working...
                    X