Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.4 Released, Wayland In Tech Preview State

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.4 Released, Wayland In Tech Preview State

KDE Plasma 5.4.0 was released as stable this morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

don't know if it is because i'm a Gnome user and like how Gnome shell works. but, Application Dashboard alternative launcher looks like a really nice addon.

Comment

Hm, looks like a good time to do a full Tumbleweed stack update once this hits.

Comment

Excellent news.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
          don't know if it is because i'm a Gnome user and like how Gnome shell works. but, Application Dashboard alternative launcher looks like a really nice addon.
          this is not like gnome, but like android. maybe you have to reconsider : are you gnome user or android fan?

Comment

I just updated but now the date on the "Date and Time" panel switched from being on top of the time to the left, is there a way to put it back on top? cause now it takes like half of the systray...

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post

this is not like gnome, but like android. maybe you have to reconsider : are you gnome user or android fan?
              i don't like android hate it, or better i really can't stand phone/tablet no matter which os

as far as my comment goes. yes, it is missing whole lot of functionality from shell, but i was referring to the principle of using full screen for application launching which really works better and less confusing than some small menu on typical users.

i was always wondering about why space is not used better for start menus until gnome 3 came out. it is not like you need to see screen while launching application. to me it always seemed like having big pool where you only confine your swimming to 1 square meter and then order pool upsizing while still keeping same swimming area. just waste, nothing else
              Last edited by justmy2cents; 25 August 2015, 05:52 PM.

Comment

i don't like android hate it, or better i really can't stand phone/tablet no matter which os

as far as my comment goes. yes, it is missing whole lot of functionality from shell, but i was referring to the principle of using full screen for application launching which really works better and less confusing than some small menu on typical users.

i was always wondering about why space is not used better for start menus until gnome 3 came out. it is not like you need to see screen while launching application. to me it always seemed like having big pool where you only confine your swimming to 1 square meter and then order pool upsizing while still keeping same swimming area. just waste, nothing else
                In general there has been a lot of strong realization in the desktop space in recent years that really, users rarely use the power of fully flexible windows, and that having components in trays and such is only wasting screen space if they aren't using it in the context of whats on the screen.

In KDE terms, thats why klipper is great - you can open your clipboard from the tray in a docker and quickly pick entries to copy. But kickoff being small doesn't help since its not like you are using the rest of your screen while using kickoff.

Comment

Really looking forward to using 5.4. I'm already on Kubuntu backports, but it seems 5.4 is not available yet. Any other sources for Kubuntu 15.04?

Comment

Compared to Plasma 4's Homerun launcher this one is kinda unpolished. I had hoped to finally use a fullscreen launcher again but in the current iteration it's unusable for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X