VMware Workstation 12 Brings Better Performance, OpenGL 3.3 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Workstation 12 Brings Better Performance, OpenGL 3.3 Support

Phoronix: VMware Workstation 12 Brings Better Performance, OpenGL 3.3 Support

VMware this morning announced Workstation 12 Pro and Workstation 12 Player with a variety of virtualization improvements for Windows and Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So this means DirectX 10 games like Just Cause 2 and Grand Theft Auto 5 can now potentially work on Linux hosts with Windows guests, right? Quite exciting.

Comment

Nah, it's still gonna suck under Linux.

When I run it on Windows, the guest is nice and smooth.

When I run it on Linux, the guest is choppy and stuttery.

It simply sucks under Linux.

Comment

Proprietary software, mehh.
        I'll just stick with VirtualBox and QEMU/KVM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post

That hasn't been my experience with previous versions of VMWare Player on Linux hosts. It ran Windows guests just fine and with better graphics performance than VirtualBox, although I use proprietary Linux graphics drivers. I guess I'll find out if things remain this way with the latest version--I'm getting it now.

Comment

VMmare don't care much about old users.

They've should continuing support 32 bit versions. If they don't release 32 bit on newer versions, at least they should support newer kernels in their 7.1.x.
            Because it's imposible to build vmware kernel modules for 7.x on modern hosts with 3.16 linux kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
              VMmare don't care much about old users.

They've should continuing support 32 bit versions. If they don't release 32 bit on newer versions, at least they should support newer kernels in their 7.1.x.
              Because it's imposible to build vmware kernel modules for 7.x on modern hosts with 3.16 linux kernels.
              Archlinux has a patch to make Player 7.1.x work with kernels upto the latest 4.1.x. I've used it many times and allows to compile the kernel modules with 4.x kernels.

This patch doesn't appear to be necessary with the just released VMWare Player.
              Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 25 August 2015, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I really like VMWare, but it's just too expensive, and they charge a lot for (yearly) upgrades.
                I used to use it on Mac, but you're forced to upgrade every year, since only the new version works well on the latest Mac OS X.
                Sticking to KVM from now on

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post

I suspect you've got something misconfigured. I've been running VM Workstation 10, on RHEL6, and with a Windows XP guest & Steam, I can run most older games at silky smooth frame rates. No stuttering, no tearing, just smoooooth. FWIW vid card is a GTX 560 ti.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                    So this means DirectX 10 games like Just Cause 2 and Grand Theft Auto 5 can now potentially work on Linux hosts with Windows guests, right? Quite exciting.
                    This also mean that their proprietary Gallium3D D3D1x state tracker mature enough to run real DirectX 10 applications. It's interesting because they may eventually open source it.

PS: Michael, link to "the Workstation features page." is broken.

Comment

Working...
                    X