Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Details Emerge On The AMD Radeon R9 Nano: Eventually Should Be Nice For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Details Emerge On The AMD Radeon R9 Nano: Eventually Should Be Nice For Linux Gamers

Phoronix: Details Emerge On The AMD Radeon R9 Nano: Eventually Should Be Nice For Linux Gamers

This week a slew of details concerning AMD's Radeon R9 Nano have come out with this small form factor graphics card with Fiji GPU expected to begin shipping soon while the official announcement is expected on Thursday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"There is open-source support that gets more promising seemingly by the day and with the Linux 4.3 kernel there will be initial Fury/Fiji support. However, with Linux 4.3 these high-end GPUs with HBM memory will lack power management / re-clocking support. "

Wait, so one of the huge attacks on Nvidia is that they don't give the Noveau guys the information needed to do power management and reclocking on newer Nvidia GPUs.
    And here the "officially supported" AMD drivers have the exact same limitations.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      "There is open-source support that gets more promising seemingly by the day and with the Linux 4.3 kernel there will be initial Fury/Fiji support. However, with Linux 4.3 these high-end GPUs with HBM memory will lack power management / re-clocking support. "

Wait, so one of the huge attacks on Nvidia is that they don't give the Noveau guys the information needed to do power management and reclocking on newer Nvidia GPUs.
      And here the "officially supported" AMD drivers have the exact same limitations.

Not exactly, AMD will release reclocking support for the Fiji hardware exactly as it did for all previous generations. My educated guess is that it's going under legal evaluation.

Comment

And going back to the topic, is it only me thinking that this card would be perfect for Steam Machines? If only the driver performance situation could improve a bit...

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post

Not exactly, AMD will release reclocking support for the Fiji hardware exactly as it did for all previous generations. My educated guess is that it's going under legal evaluation.
          Not exactly? NVIDIA's main excuse with reclocking is legal issues.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
            And going back to the topic, is it only me thinking that this card would be perfect for Steam Machines? If only the driver performance situation could improve a bit...
            Both this card and the fury X. It was the first thing that came to my mind. Hardware spec wise AMD is in an amazing position. APU's on the low end and compact high performance cards on the high end. Kills me drivers aren't there yet but they are making great progress.

Comment

No legal holdup AFAIK, we front-loaded all that for VI. The issue is writing the code and getting it working.

Firmware is already published: http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/fiji/

Wait, so one of the huge attacks on Nvidia is that they don't give the Noveau guys the information needed to do power management and reclocking on newer Nvidia GPUs. And here the "officially supported" AMD drivers have the exact same limitations. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
              There is a huge difference. We have already provided power management and re-clocking code for all of the previous chips, and have already released microcode for Fiji and Tonga.
              Last edited by bridgman; 26 August 2015, 10:41 AM.
              Test signature

Comment

Small form factor they say... How about card that does not take two slots? I would buy right on the spot card that will be supported by amdgpu and takes one slot. There is no such card though..

Comment

first off and to avoid usual pissing contest,... i'm completely agnostic about which gpu, blob or oss. only my personal preference says i would gladly pay double for same performance and OSS drivers if they are sufficient. but, this is preference and not some deluded religion

there is a big difference between one kernel version NOT YET implementing it and being stuck in guessing for god knows how many releases since company does not release the specs. simple guess should tell you first release will be more or less the testing bare functionality if it works in most setups and not how well it performs.

your comment sounds just like you would be thinking that developers simply run dialog and check features they want code for. in real world of normal people, someone actually has to write it and drivers are far from simple

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                    Not exactly? NVIDIA's main excuse with reclocking is legal issues.
                    Nvidia fanboys grasping at straws.

You've your superior blobs. Why do you even care?

Comment

Working...
                    X