Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan Working For A Drawing Program

Phoronix: Vulkan Working For A Drawing Program

Aside from game developers that are members of The Khronos Group dabbling internally with game engine support for the Vulkan graphics API, a drawing program now also appears to be powered by this next-gen graphics API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great, it's about time to leave the GIMP behind...

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post

I think you can wait years before we see a real GIMP competitor, as in, a free/libre general-purpose raster graphics editor. Krita is not one of them; it's focused on drawing.

Comment

The GIMP was never a drawing program anyway since it is a photo processor/editor.
        Incidentally, you don't need Vulkan or OpenGL or any 3D API to do photo processing, although some [by no means all] types of operations might go faster using OpenCL and a GPU.

Comment

GIMP may not be a drawing program, but I've done some pretty cool stuff in GIMP. I'm not the only one.

Comment

What's wrong with GIMP?

Comment

i wonder if libreoffice will switch from opengl to vulkan.

Comment

If you're disappointed with GIMP, take a look at Krita (https://krita.org).

I'd be interested to see if Autodesk will support Vulkan in the next few years. I think they will eventually (whether they like it or not), they always lagged behind with the creative and hardware industry.

Comment

I want to see Vulkan used in something like this, where it is actually needed. (although I think that even that was built on either OGL or DX11) If you can't make an infinitely powerful 2D raster drawing program on OpenGL or DirectX 9, your graphical programmers just don't know what the fuck they're doing (which is evidently why most drawing programs lag like crazy with high pixel sized brushes or high resolution canvases, most of them can't handle drawing at 10k without lagging to pieces, including photoshop) BlackINK showed promise, but it's being developed too slow and not on linux yet, corel paint has the best 2D brush engines but still sucks on high res workspaces, and so on)

If ur not even doing 3D, you shouldn't need Vulkan, it should be hardcore overkill for something like that. At least in my head. I mean think about it none of these programs even require a decent graphics card, intergrated graphics cards will do most of the work is in the processor and under the hood (usually completely outside of the graphical code)

That's just what I think anyhow.

Comment

I'd love to see Mischief (or its clones). Of course it's currently using OpenGL and available now, but switching to Vulkan might benefits a things or two (performance perhaps).

MyPaint is very close in terms of infinite canvas, but they are quite different (Mischief is Vector graphics, while MyPaint is Raster).

Comment

Working...
                    X