Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg Adds VA-API HEVC/H.265 Hardware Acceleration Support

Phoronix: FFmpeg Adds VA-API HEVC/H.265 Hardware Acceleration Support

Last year Intel developers added HEVC decode support to VA-API followed a few months later by HEVC encode support to this Video Acceleration API used by the Intel open-source driver on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It took really long this time. I wonder if Ubuntu will update ffmpeg for next release. Basically they have to use a workaround for Skylake in the kernel too. One mobile Broadwell user still complains about stability issues, Debian is currently not optimal to debug because of huge underlying changes.

Comment

Nobody likes to touch libva/VAAPI, it's the most horrible library I have ever seen. And Intel isn't too interested in getting support for stuff like this.
      They usualy add stuff to gstreamer, and that's about it.

This only finaly happend because Team Kodi donated hardware under the premise to add support for this to ffmpeg.

My NUC5PPYH is now able to playback 4K content at 60 fps via Kodi(It can't output it though, because it only supports HDMI 1.4), the lower-end Braswell nuc reportedly has some issues with framedrops, as the GPU is a bit weaker.

Comment

Working...
      X