Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Overview Of The Vulkan API

Phoronix: An Overview Of The Vulkan API

If for some reason you haven't been keeping up with our many articles about Vulkan and SPIR-V, there's a nice overview out about the new graphics API emerging from The Khronos Group...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i think there is a mistake in article picture.

"layered architecture so validation and debug layers can be unloaded when not needed". according to every presentation, you actually need to subscribe to validation or debug layer when you need them, not unload when you don't. need to unload would be same performance killer by default as in opengl

but, props on this image http://assets.toptal.io/uploads/blog...5e42de8415.jpg , best mantle-vulkan represantation i ever saw
    Last edited by justmy2cents; 28 August 2015, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Potential Vulkan API Downsides
      • Time-to-Market
      This. People are already using DirectX12. Today.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
        based on how slowly 10 is getting adopted and DirectX12 being Win10 only... few months mean zero.

beside that, you need to take simple factor in equation. DX before 12 has way less problems than OpenGL. in case of OpenGL, Vulkan actually solves those beside performance and there is more reason for the move OpenGL->Vulkan. DX12 just brings performance and forceful update to Win10
        Last edited by justmy2cents; 28 August 2015, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
          based on how slowly 10 is getting adopted and DirectX12 being Win10 only... few months mean zero.
          AFAIK the adoption rate of Windows 10 is high and more than satisfying for Microsoft.

Comment

Other than Valve no game devs are even talking about Vulkan. And Valve doesn't make games any more, so I dunno...

If I was at Valve and if I was a real rat bastard (and one of those two is true), what I would do is take their top still-played games (like Dota2, TF2, CS:GO, maybe L4D2) and give them Vulkan ports and brag about the improved performance, and then make those Vulkan versions of the game SteamOS / Linux only. MS and Apple haven't lifted a damn finger to help Vulkan, so screw them.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
              DX12 is also about a slim driver and putting more control in the hands of the developer, therefore it has same time-to-market problem.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                Other than Valve no game devs are even talking about Vulkan. And Valve doesn't make games any more, so I dunno...

If I was at Valve and if I was a real rat bastard (and one of those two is true), what I would do is take their top still-played games (like Dota2, TF2, CS:GO, maybe L4D2) and give them Vulkan ports and brag about the improved performance, and then make those Vulkan versions of the game SteamOS / Linux only. MS and Apple haven't lifted a damn finger to help Vulkan, so screw them.
                There's lots of professional 3D modelling software that in OpenGL and could benefit from Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post

AFAIK the adoption rate of Windows 10 is high and more than satisfying for Microsoft.

if MS is happy or not doesn't matter here even the slightest. that is entirely left out to developers who develop games and only thing developer will be interested in is simple math
                  - how much work? both vulkan or dx12 require extensive work
                  - how many customers can he reach? vulkan is multiplatform and when you include android number is enormous, dx12 is only win10 and this also means only those who already migrated
                  - which benefits are there over old way? opengl had a lot of driver/implementation problems and much harder support for that. vulkan fixes those problems. DX unlike OpenGL didn't really suffer much in those departments and as good as this was for previous versions, it is actual problem for DX12 adoption since performance is the only thing it brings

as strange as it sounds. all the OpenGL problems are downright working miracles for Vulkan adoption

develop DX12 game and how many people you cover with all that extra work? not much.

update: do not mistake this as me saying DX12 will flop, this is just reasoning why these months mean absolutely zero
                  Last edited by justmy2cents; 28 August 2015, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    according to Tim Sweeney, Vulkan in Unreal is in full swing. and Unity talk often gets confused as the fact they won't support it, where only thing that was said is "not yet until it is developed". just those 2 cover insane range of games

Comment

Working...
                    X