No announcement yet.

Open-Source Linux Driver Comparison: Skylake HD Graphics vs. Radeon Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Linux Driver Comparison: Skylake HD Graphics vs. Radeon Gallium3D

Phoronix: Open-Source Linux Driver Comparison: Skylake HD Graphics vs. Radeon Gallium3D

With my Skylake HD Graphics 530 Linux tests earlier this month from the new Intel Core i5 6600K processor, I compared the performance to several Haswell/Broadwell CPUs as well as AMD APUs. In this article I'm providing some fresh benchmark results of Intel's "Gen9" graphics compared to discrete AMD Radeon GPUs tested on the same Skylake system. All tests were done with Mesa 11.0 code and the DRM-Next code for Linux 4.3.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The bad news is intel is encroaching on one of AMD's last bastions: iGPU performance. If that falls, AMD's only saving grace will be to be cheaper than intel.

Comment

Still mesa 11 rc1?
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        Still mesa 11 rc1?
        It was of the 11.0 Git branch a few days ago. The tests were done earlier this week. Often times it can be a few days from when I start testing to when testing appears, based on other articles written and how long the testing process takes.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          The bad news is intel is encroaching on one of AMD's last bastions: iGPU performance. If that falls, AMD's only saving grace will be to be cheaper than intel.

What do you mean 530 is almost TWICE 290 and the 290 beats the pants off it?!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It was of the 11.0 Git branch a few days ago. The tests were done earlier this week. Often times it can be a few days from when I start testing to when testing appears, based on other articles written and how long the testing process takes.
            How come the Skylake GPU wasn't in the Tropics test results? Did it crash?

I don't think the newer code would change the conclusions here much anyway. The 6570 is a bit behind in a lot of these tests, and it would probably just catch up.

Comment

The 6570 has single channel memory so it's bandwidth limited in a lot of cases.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
                iGPU, as in, the GPU part of an APU, or the on-board graphics on older intel boards (none were tested in this benchmark run, other than Intel's Skylake). Recent Intel iGPUs have gotten pretty strong, though I have a hard time imagining them keeping up with an a10-7700's GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post

So? Look at the 6570 for crying out loud! It's supposed to be more than than 22.6 of the 290 but the 290 completely destroys it! What's going on AMD?!?!?

Comment

Over the years a couple of people have asked why we use a different numbering scheme for workstation boards (where the first digit approximates performance level, the second digit represents HW generation, and the model numbers always have the same number of digits).

^^^ This is why.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 28 August 2015, 06:34 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X