Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Open-Source Support Might Be Caught Up For Next-Gen GPUs

Phoronix: AMD's Open-Source Support Might Be Caught Up For Next-Gen GPUs

If you haven't read this morning's article about Running The AMD Radeon R9 Fury With AMD's New Open-Source Linux Driver, you should go do so, but the short version is that there's still much work left before the R9 Fury "Fiji" GPUs will be a worthwhile investment by Linux users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This turnaround time for (basic: no re-clocking or OpenGL 4) open-source Radeon R9 Fury support is coming one month after the Fury/Fiji was unveiled, but that's only in Git form: Mesa 11.0 will be formally released next month while Linux 4.3 with initial Fiji support is only starting development and won't be stable until its release in about two months. Then having the power management / re-clocking support in stable form will take another two months at least for that with Linux 4.4, if it doesn't get dragged on until 2016.
    Hi Michael;

When making comments like these could you please make it clear that you are making educated guesses based on previous HW generations and not stating facts or plans ?

When part of an article is based on my comment and another part is based on speculation it's good to be clear about which is which

Thanks !!
    Last edited by bridgman; 30 August 2015, 02:52 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

I'm sorry for saying this, but this article does have a shady tone. I do understand that benchmarks are important and tracking progression is important. I do think that drivers should be available early, but it seems like you took bridgman's statement out of context. I had mentioned in passing that I hope AMD develops a good strategy for launch day support, and that was what he replied to. There just wasn't enough said to come to the conclusions you made in this article and that's why it seems shady.

Comment

So what is an issue? Mainly that Fuji and Tonga lack DPM, wait for 4.4 kernel and you will have it.

I guess there will be follow up articles on how Intel lacks GL 4.1 support like others or how nouveau has it but most (particulary recent) chips does not work either at all or not reliable
        Last edited by dungeon; 30 August 2015, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Disclaimer: If you use Catalyst, just ignore this entire article.

Comment

Looking on AMD financial results, I think AMD should just fire their "IP review" saboteurs team to both save money and reduce development turnaround times . After all, software has been always AMD's major roadblock. Now I'm getting idea why...
            Last edited by SystemCrasher; 30 August 2015, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Since the software used by ~99.5% of our customer base is closed source and not IP reviewed I am struggling to follow your logic.

Or maybe it's Sarcasm Day here today and I should just stop reading until tomorrow.
              Last edited by bridgman; 30 August 2015, 06:42 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                So what is an issue? Mainly that Fuji and Tonga lack DPM, wait for 4.4 kernel and you will have it.
                I have never seen bridgman or AMD state that DPM was coming in the 4.4 kernel, although I certainly hope that's the case.

But i can already smell the outraged articles cooking that will come out when it doesn't happen, that imply it was promised to everyone.

Bridgman: this is what happens when you refuse to give out any timetables. People just make up ones they want to believe in, whether that's the next release or never.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  I have never seen bridgman or AMD state that DPM was coming in the 4.4 kernel, although I certainly hope that's the case.
                  Alex mentioned on irc 4.4 will be maybe month ago, so my info comes from there So i take that 4.4 timeline as a rough plan for DPM on those cards.

I can agree only that Tonga users suffered too much in this amdgpu waiting game, but Fury i don't think so - that is really new.
                  Last edited by dungeon; 30 August 2015, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Alex mentioned on irc 4.4 will be maybe month ago, so my info comes from there

So i take that 4.4 timeline as a rough plan for DPM on those cards.

Let's hope it's like you say. I'm holding back on building a new PC until next years Artic Islands GPU and Zen CPU. I just want AMD to be succesful in 2016 and to break Intel's monopoly and most of all to stand up to that open-source unfriendly company called Nvidia
                    Last edited by newwen; 30 August 2015, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X