Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT3 Driver Is To Be Removed In Linux 4.3

Phoronix: EXT3 Driver Is To Be Removed In Linux 4.3

The EXT3 file-system driver is indeed going to be removed from the now in-development Linux 4.3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why not also remove ext2 for similar reasons? Or do they want to keep a non-journaled file-system?

Comment

Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
      Why not also remove ext2 for similar reasons? Or do they want to keep a non-journaled file-system?
      The EXT2 driver, iirc, is much MUCH smaller (and requires less system resources) than the EXT3 or 4 drivers. EXT2 and it's driver is often used in embedded systems.

Comment

If I understand correctly this will not remove ext3 support but ext3 will be now handled by ext4 driver right? That's good as I keep my multimedia files in EXT3 because with a ext3 windows driver they are perfectly usable in both windows and linux. Ext4 driver for windows is a bad story though.

Comment

If I understand correctly this will not remove ext3 support but ext3 will be now handled by ext4 driver right? That's good as I keep my multimedia files in EXT3 because with a ext3 windows driver they are perfectly usable in both windows and linux. Ext4 driver for windows is a bad story though.

Comment

With the default settings the ext4 driver already handles ext2 and ext3 filesystems.

Afaik nobody maintains the ext3 driver anymore, which is the real reason behind the remove.
            The ext2 driver is still maintained as it's smaller size and footprint is beneficial on embedded devices.

Comment

Working...
            X