Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GRID 2.0 Adds Linux Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA GRID 2.0 Adds Linux Support

NVIDIA has announced their GRID 2.0 platform while also unveiling their Tesla M6 and M60 server cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not exactly sure what it is. Would it let me have a gaming VM with near-native speed? Anyone care to explain?

Comment

secure your data with NVidia Grid?

[sarcasm]yea, because nothing is more secured than shared cloud service[/sarcasm]

Comment

I think Nvidia GRID is used to expose virtual accelerated GPUs to cloud-based VM solutions.

For instance, Amazon EC2 offers servers with vGPU options and a new service called LiquidSky (which will actually be coming to Linux soon) will let you rent a Windows 10 server with an Nvidia GRID vGPU so that you can play your Windows Steam games and other grames in OnLive-style fashion on mobile devices and Linux. I did a GPUZ test on on a LiquidSky session and it was indeed Nvidia GRID.
        Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 31 August 2015, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Okay, so this has nothing at all to do with integrating CUDA with the GRID Engine. The fact that I assumed it did says a lot about where my mind is at right now.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
            Not exactly sure what it is. Would it let me have a gaming VM with near-native speed? Anyone care to explain?
            Took me a bit of digging, but I finally figured it out:

Essentially: it's a way to encode a screen -that would otherwise be displayed to the user- to h.264 directly on the server?s GPU, so it can be sent to a "dumb client" that will just decode the h.264 and play it as if it was a video, while sending back whatever user input.

Think RDP with GPU-accelerated h.264.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
              This already exists if you have a graphics card to pass through.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                This already exists if you have a graphics card to pass through.
                I know and im using it. Still interested in other possible options. Aside from kvm there isnt anything just as good it seems.

Comment

AMD has also launched a similar solution, built around industry standard SR-IOV (Single Root I/O Virtualization) technology:

http://www.techpowerup.com/215678/am...t-vmworld.html
                  http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74...ews&id=2083146
                  http://gfxspeak.com/2015/08/31/hardw...ized-solution/

Comment

Dude... Im so buying top tier card from AMD once im sure this tech will fly on kvm.

Comment

Working...
                    X