Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Enables ASTC Texture Compression In Mesa For Skylake

Phoronix: Intel Enables ASTC Texture Compression In Mesa For Skylake

As of today in Mesa Git, the royalty-free Adaptive Scalable Texture Compression (ASTC) is now supported in Mesa Git for Skylake graphics hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad these come so late. S3TC will expire already in two years. It will still take 6-24 months for the distros to adopt this.

Comment

There's a lot of talk about "hope" that ASTC will replace S3TC, but does it even measure up in terms of quality? Close is okay, but generally not good enough especially for 8GB+ triple-A games.

caligula S3TC will expire in two years... at which point somebody somewhere will suddenly "remember" that they have patents used in it as well! and somehow keep it proprietary.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        There's a lot of talk about "hope" that ASTC will replace S3TC, but does it even measure up in terms of quality? Close is okay, but generally not good enough especially for 8GB+ triple-A games.

Guest S3TC will expire in two years... at which point somebody somewhere will suddenly "remember" that they have patents used in it as well! and somehow keep it proprietary.
        It's not close, it's far better. The only other texture format that's closer is the newest pvr

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

It's not close, it's far better. The only other texture format that's closer is the newest pvr
          Then all is good in the world and I look forward to the day ASTC goes mainstream

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            Then all is good in the world and I look forward to the day ASTC goes mainstream
            ASTC is being driven by mobile development and Android. It remains to be seen if it'll ever take off on the desktop. BPTC is probably what you'll see in AAA games, as it focuses on the high-end quality. ASTC's greatest strength is flexibility, allowing it to target really low bitrates in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              Too bad these come so late. S3TC will expire already in two years. It will still take 6-24 months for the distros to adopt this.
              if it is better, then it's never too late

Comment

I love ASTC. It is a brilliant compression algorithm. I have experimented with it on some textures for a little game I am making in my free time ... too bad that so few drivers support it...

I am really looking forward to the time when it will be more mainstream and major games will begin using it. It is much better than S3TC in terms of quality and compression (and hence, performance as well (when the gpu hardware implements it), since the performance gain from compression comes from the smaller size --> less strain on the memory bus).

Comment

Does hardware has to support ASTC to exploit its feature or could it be done at driver level?

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
                    Does hardware has to support ASTC to exploit its feature or could it be done at driver level?
                    I suppose it can be done at software level, and then send the uncompressed texture to the card, but you kinda lose the point in having compressed textures (saving PCI bandwidth) if you do that.

Comment

Working...
                    X