Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Linux Graphics: The Latest Open-Source RadeonSI Driver Moves On To Smacking Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Linux Graphics: The Latest Open-Source RadeonSI Driver Moves On To Smacking Catalyst

Phoronix: AMD Linux Graphics: The Latest Open-Source RadeonSI Driver Moves On To Smacking Catalyst

Following this weekend's Radeon R9 Fury open-source Linux driver tests with the DRM-Next code to be merged into Linux 4.3, the latest Mesa 11.1-devel Git code, and LLVM 3.8 SVN for the AMDGPU compiler back-end, I proceeded to run some bleeding-edge open-source Radeon Gallium3D graphics versus AMD Catalyst Linux benchmarks on Ubuntu.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really do not understand what is it about 290/290x that makes them such bad performers in Linux. Even with the proprietary drivers they do worse compared to other AMD cards in terms of price to performance ratio. Anyway I hope we see some Shadow of Mordor and maybe Company of Heroes benches soon. I'm really curious to see how an unsupported AMD card would do using the open source drivers.

Comment

None of this surprises me, and that is why I continue to use git master mesa/LLVM trunk for the foreseeable future, you should too
      Last edited by spstarr; 01 September 2015, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
        I really do not understand what is it about 290/290x that makes them such bad performers in Linux. Even with the proprietary drivers they do worse compared to other AMD cards in terms of price to performance ratio. Anyway I hope we see some Shadow of Mordor and maybe Company of Heroes benches soon. I'm really curious to see how an unsupported AMD card would do using the open source drivers.
        Shadow of Mordor isn't going to happen until the company adds CLI switches to make the automated benchmarking possible.... Lots of tips needed to make any manual testing possible.

Likewise, for Company of Heroes 2, there's still the concerns raised in earlier post.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Why can't companies make a fu**ing benchmark which works fine from CLI? It isn't that difficult...
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Why can't companies make a fu**ing benchmark which works fine from CLI? It isn't that difficult...
            I wish I knew.... Especially when they already have freaking benchmark options from the in-game menu... Then with Arma3 I did find an "-autotest" argument but not clear if that will be enough paired when wrangling some missions together for a benchmark mode, but not willing to spend $60 just to find out it will turn out like crap too.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I wonder why the Catalyst rendering allegedly looks better in Valley. Can somebody paste the Valley log on Catalyst to see what OpenGL extensions it's using?

The open source driver uses the best quality rendering it can. No compromises.

Comment

Some of those results seem to have too much difference, I'd be concerned that it's not rendering correctly in some kind of way. Anyway I had always hoped that the OSS drivers would overtake the proprietary drivers someday. I always knew Catalyst wasn't getting anywhere near the hardwares potential so I'm glad to see it start to happen. The original estimation was that the OSS drivers could hit 70-80 percent of Catalyst, but since Catalyst only hits like 60 percent of hardwares potential I always knew that would turn out to be wrong.

Comment

Meanwhile in R600 land...users are still stuck with OpenGL 3.3

Comment

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
                    ...and maybe Company of Heroes benches soon. I'm really curious to see how an unsupported AMD card would do using the open source drivers.
                    I've tried CoH2 on the RadeonSI driver (7970 card, mesa 10.6). The performance is atrocious at around 6-15 fps mostly on default settings (I don't actually know what the default settings are though). It crashed frequently for me too.

Comment

Working...
                    X