Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Awkward Ubuntu Tablet Plans To Go Up For Pre-Order Soon

Phoronix: That Awkward Ubuntu Tablet Plans To Go Up For Pre-Order Soon

Since last December we've been receiving emails from a company working on an Ubuntu Tablet inspired by the failed Ubuntu Edge campaign. That company is apparently going to start accepting pre-orders for their device soon with hopes of shipping this unofficial Ubuntu Tablet in January...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

IMO tablets have big enough screens to use a desktop UI, as long as there is a stylus or something to allow reasonably precise pointing when needed. Everyone I know got caught up in the tablet craze then went back to their laptops after a while.
    Test signature

Comment

Damn those edges are so big, remember me of the iPad 1...
      Except this is appears to be a good piece of hardware, if it was available during the "tablet golden yolo days" Canonical would be rich!

USB3 port is what is missing on most tablets, nice to see it here.

Comment

I wonder how much the battery will last with those juicy specs.

Comment

if you want Linux tablet sooner than next January Jolla is taking pre orders on their 8.9" Intel tablet. Indiegogo campaign tablets start shipping soon.

Comment

I like the specs. I would prefer a laptop around the same price/specs though...

Comment

maybe Plasma Mobile would be a better interface than Ubuntu's.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                I like the specs. I would prefer a laptop around the same price/specs though...
                With USB2 and 3, hdmi output, PCIE and desktop UI, that thing aims to be a laptop replacement.

Comment

I still want a decently sized tablet with a split blackberry keyboard along the bottom edge and batteries at the bottom to make it balance.

If I had free time I would make one myself...
                  Test signature

Comment

BQ is releasing a convergent device later this year. I would wait for that instead.
                    However, if these guys are legit, they should wait for the convergent desktop or tablet UI and send phoronix a review sample of course

Comment

Working...
                    X