Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS File-System Updates For Linux 4.3

Phoronix: F2FS File-System Updates For Linux 4.3

For those interested in F2FS as a Linux file-system to use on solid-state drives and other flash storage devices, here's the latest updates for it with Linux 4.3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I question the practicality of using yet another filesystem especially after looking at those benchmarks done earlier. I'm glad to have more options, and maybe oneday...

Getting exotic about my filesystem is not something I prefer outside of hobbying.

Comment

Samsung uses F2FS exclusively in their phones. Given their percentage of the Android market, that is a few hundred million phones. I am not sure I'd call that exotic. Systems like ext4 are nice and stable, but they were designed for spinning rust. Flash has different characteristics that are both good and bad and f2fs was written for it. That said, f2fs is definitely the less mature of the two!

Gone are the days when a good filesystem was a few thousand lines of code.

Comment

When can we expect a resizing feature?

Comment

Originally posted by kyle-phoronix View Post
          Samsung uses F2FS exclusively in their phones. Given their percentage of the Android market, that is a few hundred million phones. I am not sure I'd call that exotic. Systems like ext4 are nice and stable, but they were designed for spinning rust. Flash has different characteristics that are both good and bad and f2fs was written for it. That said, f2fs is definitely the less mature of the two!
          I have yet to see a Samsung android using f2fs. (note 4, note 3 neo, s3 and s2 all use ext4). Despite that I welcome f2fs, because as you said, flash has different charactaristics. But we do have to make differences here and there:
          1) pure nand flash interface with hardware ecc, most preferable, use ubi+ubifs
          2) SSD with a very complex FTL layer: there is a clear distinction between erasing a page (wear levelling) and writing multiple times into flash and looking and erase page bounderies.
          3) Simple FTL layer: write buffered per erase page. Consider nand flash as a block device, perform wear levelling on a group of blocks.
          4) "No" FTL layer: you are being scammed.
          Anyway: f2fs is for the storage of kind 3 up to 2.
          4 should not exist.
          1) is being worked on: SSD with raw nand interfacing, or exists in simple NAND drivers in SoCs..

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
            I have yet to see a Samsung android using f2fs. (note 4, note 3 neo, s3 and s2 all use ext4).
            Have you checked any recent Samsung devices? All of the ones you mentioned except the Note 4 (and that's debatable) are ancient. Of course they're not going to have or get f2fs.

Comment

Working...
            X