Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 Updates Are Pretty Boring For Linux 4.3

Phoronix: EXT4 Updates Are Pretty Boring For Linux 4.3

The EXT4 file-system updates have been sent in for the Linux 4.3 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For a stable file system like EXT4, boring updates are the best type of updates.

Comment

Yeh. I've reconverted one of my drives back to ext4 from btrfs after experiencing file corruption that the btrfs tools wouldn't fix.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        For a stable file system like EXT4, boring updates are the best type of updates.
        Exactly!

Comment

I like boring updates to existing software! Features are nice. Working features are way better!

Comment

The block core improvements are scarcely trivial:

- Make /sys/block/<dev>/queue/discard_max_bytes writeable, by me. Most
            devices have huge trim limits, which can cause nasty latencies when
            deleting files. Enable the admin to configure the size down. We will
            look into having a more sane default instead of UINT_MAX sectors.

When attempting to trim a large volume, the block core submitting the discards as enormous requests taking inordinate amounts of time each to complete usually results in many 120 second stall warnings in my kernel logs. Being able to request the block core split the requests into smaller, reasonable-time chunks will remove this logspam and hopefully improve performance also.

Comment

Originally posted by DonQ View Post
              Yeh. I've reconverted one of my drives back to ext4 from btrfs after experiencing file corruption that the btrfs tools wouldn't fix.
              Hi, could you please share some details? someone else using btrfs could be interested Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Michael needs to name topics in that way otherwise very few people will open them probably.....

I do agree with you though...... bug fixes for a stable filesystem is the best thing we can get.

Comment

Working...
                X