Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Leap Milestone 2 Has Package Updates, Sticks To GCC 4.8

Phoronix: openSUSE Leap Milestone 2 Has Package Updates, Sticks To GCC 4.8

Released today is the second development milestone of Leap, the next major version of openSUSE that is more closely aligned with SUSE Linux Enterprise...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have been a little disappointed with openSuse of late. I regularly get problems with broken package dependencies when trying to update. I am thinking of switching to Fedora on my laptop now.

Comment

speculatrix I'm Fedora user pissed off with stability problems thing of switching to openSUSE...

Comment

Originally posted by silenc3r View Post
        speculatrix I'm Fedora user pissed off with stability problems thing of switching to openSUSE...
        Maybe I should be happier with the recent slow-down in release cycled on oS then ;-)

Comment

speculatrix silenc3r i am an arch linux user and having no stability problems. i did use non rolling releases like ubuntu for a long time and had many, and also often broken package dependencies. i tried fedora 22 and its llvm/clang compiler does not even work out of the box without problems. it does on arch. older software != more stability, at least it was so in my cases.
          Last edited by sirblackheart; 04 September 2015, 08:56 AM.

Comment

speculatrix silenc3r i am also an Arch Linux user and I am very happy with stability, upgrade process and no pain in the ass with new releases. Everything goes smooth and very few documented problems that I have found. I tried different Linux versions (Debian. Ubuntu, SuSe, Slackware, RedHat, Gentoo, Linux from scratch, etc.). I could give a try to Fedora as my last RedHat tests were around 2000, but I right now I am quite happy with Arch Linux.
            Cheers.

Comment

sirblackheart methril I was an Arch Linux user for more than 7 years. While I
              still think it's a great distro, Arch is no longer my thing. It's not that I had
              stability problems with it - since 2010 or 2011 Arch was perfectly stable for
              me. It's the maintenance that pushes me off. Arch is a "simple" distro. It
              strictly flows KISS principle and that means quite a bit of manual work during
              updates, i.e. checking arch news/mailing lists before upgrading, manually
              updating config files etc. I don't say it's entirely a bad thing - you know what
              happens where and why in your system, but it's time consuming and encourages you
              to play with your system instead of doing actual work.

Nowadays I tend to lean towards "easy" distros (aka "boring" distros). They
              don't have all the latest and greatest pieces of software , they aren't rolling,
              they aren't as easily customisable, but they got their own strengths. The main
              one being perfectly predictable. You know you can update your system at any time
              and:
              - you're 99.999% sure it will boot up without problems
              - the software you use won't go any dramatic changes
              - no software will break due to internal system changes (including proprietary
              drivers)
              If you really need some new version of given application you can usually find it
              in unofficial repo such as obs, ppa, or copr (I know they are still no match for
              AUR, but OBS is successively shortening the gap). But how often that happens?
              Few times a year for average user? If you do it more often you probably already
              know how to package apps yourself.
              Not using rolling distro means you have to upgrade to new major release every
              now and then, but with usual support of few years you got plenty of time to plan
              that ahead.

Having said that I still think Arch is a great distro if you have time and will
              to tinker with it. It's quite fun and you'll learn a lot, but for everyday use I
              prefer system that "just works" and isn't the next toy to procrastinate with.
              I already got plenty of these. Being boring can be advantageous sometimes...

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
                I have been a little disappointed with openSuse of late. I regularly get problems with broken package dependencies when trying to update. I am thinking of switching to Fedora on my laptop now.
                In most cases (which is the polite openSUSE developer way of saying "in every bloody case I've ever seen") dependency problems when upgrading are due to additional repositories that have been added

eg. Stuff like Packman (which is not run by openSUSE and sometimes fails to keep themselves in sync with openSUSE) and OBS Devel Projects (which, by design, are where stuff is meant to be broken before it ends up in openSUSE)

This is especially true if you're doing a zypper dup all the time - which you absolutely shouldn't if you have non-official repositories added.

If you're not using extra repos, and/or you're getting dependency problems when doing a 'zypper up', you've piqued my curiosity, where are the bugs reported?

Comment

IIRC, they were having a lot of problems with GCC 4.9 causing package breakage and took so long it made sense to 5.0. I'm not sure if Leap will make that jump or stick with 4.8 to align with SLES, but the wiki indicates they've considered it: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Leap#GCC_versions

Comment

I switched to openSUSE Tumbleweed lately on my main PC. It has its share of problems due to the rolling nature (no updates through YaST, NVIDIA drivers are even more of a pain than usual), but I do like having fresh software always. In fact it's still not fresh enough, I need to use some extra repos for newer KDE applications that support KF5.

On my laptop, it's still 13.2. Will Leap once it's ready.

As sysrich said, if you have dependency problems, then that's because of extra repositories and mixing packages from different repos.

Comment

Working...
                    X