Intel's 3.0 X.Org Driver Has Now Been In Development For Two Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's 3.0 X.Org Driver Has Now Been In Development For Two Years

Phoronix: Intel's 3.0 X.Org Driver Has Now Been In Development For Two Years

Intel's xf86-video-intel 3.0 display driver has now been in development for two years, but it doesn't look like they are in a rush to release it before Wayland takes over the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fuck you mighty Intel

Comment

Btw. the i915 drm driver is in a horrible state since april rendereing my haswell notebook unusable due to atomic modeset issues forcing me to stay with 4.0.x. bug reposts are not being answered. I'm afraid we are looking at a declining support for intel gpus! Lets hope this is just temporary!

Comment

Originally posted by saski View Post
        Btw. the i915 drm driver is in a horrible state since april rendereing my haswell notebook unusable due to atomic modeset issues forcing me to stay with 4.0.x. bug reposts are not being answered. I'm afraid we are looking at a declining support for intel gpus! Lets hope this is just temporary!
        Can you give specifics? I have a laptop with a haswell and am running 4.1 and have no problems with my graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
          Can you give specifics? I have a laptop with a haswell and am running 4.1 and have no problems with my graphics.

Sure. I have a Lenovo T440p with a docking station. Especially connecting to or from the docking station gave me many OOPSes all over the board. They were fixed and broken again many times during 4.1-rc, 4.2-rc and especially in drm-intel-nightly however they seem to be resolved - at least for now. Right now the console goes black during bootup. I can login "blind" and fire up X wich seems to work. I also experience random lockups when my machine is running on its internal ips screen and only then. With an external screen there are no such lockups. This was introduced with the switch to "full" atomic modesetting commit to drm-intel-nightly. Same thing happens with a T440s so my hardware is most likely not defective. Maybe Lenovo haswell devices just don't agree with drm-intel atomic modesetting. dmesg is flooded with drm-intel-atomic related non fatal oops and stack traces. So far no help from the intel devs. I guess they are too busy right now.

Comment

3.0? You mean master branch? Assuming a release would be named 3.0... Why not 2.99.918?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              Fuck you mighty Intel
              I'm starting to feel this way as well, mostly because my HD4600 is total crap with their OSS drivers.

Intel (12bil) gained a revenue practically 6 times larger than Nvidia (1bil) and AMD (1bil) combined in the first quarter of this year. They have NO excuse to be slacking.

Comment

Why would Intel do anything to promote non-server Linux? It seems to me that they have a very real need to promote Windows consumer platforms since they're tied to x86. Moving people over to an ISA-independent OS like Linux would be death for Intel. It is why you see them pushing Surface Pro so hard in the tablet space.

Comment

Originally posted by saski View Post

Sure. I have a Lenovo T440p with a docking station. Especially connecting to or from the docking station gave me many OOPSes all over the board. They were fixed and broken again many times during 4.1-rc, 4.2-rc and especially in drm-intel-nightly however they seem to be resolved - at least for now. Right now the console goes black during bootup. I can login "blind" and fire up X wich seems to work. I also experience random lockups when my machine is running on its internal ips screen and only then. With an external screen there are no such lockups. This was introduced with the switch to "full" atomic modesetting commit to drm-intel-nightly. Same thing happens with a T440s so my hardware is most likely not defective. Maybe Lenovo haswell devices just don't agree with drm-intel atomic modesetting. dmesg is flooded with drm-intel-atomic related non fatal oops and stack traces. So far no help from the intel devs. I guess they are too busy right now.
                  So are you having any serious problems with stuff not working or just a bunch of backtraces in the log files?

Also are you seeing this on released kernels in the stable series, like 4.1.x?

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    Why would Intel do anything to promote non-server Linux? It seems to me that they have a very real need to promote Windows consumer platforms since they're tied to x86. Moving people over to an ISA-independent OS like Linux would be death for Intel. It is why you see them pushing Surface Pro so hard in the tablet space.
                    Windows also run on ARM

Comment

Working...
                    X