Librem 13 Free Software Laptop Nears Funding Goals, After Self-Funding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Librem 13 Free Software Laptop Nears Funding Goals, After Self-Funding

Phoronix: Librem 13 Free Software Laptop Nears Funding Goals, After Self-Funding

The Librem 13 has been an effort to be a 13-inch crowd-funded laptop that "respects your rights" and follows in the foot-steps of the previously-funded Librem 15...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, well. Another project that endangers future crowdfunding efforts. You know, projects that collected but never delivered. Or that sold out big time to Fecesbook. Or that delivered late and lowered goals constantly.
    I just fear that once a SERIOUS project tries to start potential funders will be wary and not spending money due to the past experiences. And I do wish for a freedom laptop that is just well designed and done. That stuff that is on the market is mainly unbearable.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

The FSF already has that page:
      Respects Your Freedom hardware product certification
      The "Respects Your Freedom" computer hardware product certification program encourages the creation and sale of
      hardware that will do as much as possible to respect your freedom and your privacy, and will ensure that you have control over your device.
      Last edited by Nth_man; 07 September 2015, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Why not just select one of the high-end Thinkpads, and pay for somebody to reverse engineer the shit out of it. I would vote with my money for Coreboot-able Thinkpad, that I don't need to unsolder to flash.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
          Why not just select one of the high-end Thinkpads, and pay for somebody to reverse engineer the shit out of it. I would vote with my money for Coreboot-able Thinkpad, that I don't need to unsolder to flash.
          What is your fetish with ThinkPads? they are the only laptops BSDs can almost decently run on so that sooner they are gone, the better. Also, ThinkPads were designed by former evil empire IBM during a time when they where evil and f__k buddies with M$ and hated Linux. Today, they are mad by Lenovo which is worse then the NSA and CIA put togther.

Thinkpads are so backward:
          - 7-rows keyboard in 1993 when others were already having 6-rows
          - Thinklight instead of a more common sense backlight keyboard
          - Crap that no one uses
          - Fn and Ctrl swapped
          - trackpad rather then touchpad
          - allowing BSD and other rapist license crap to run while others avoid them and encourage GPL

Comment

500$ for a 13.3" laptop with those specs and a nice, configured OS based on Linux, is a good deal :
            • 13.3? display 1920x1080
            • 2 Core (4 Threads) Intel i5
            • Intel HD Graphics 5500
            • 4GB Mem (up to 16GB)
            • 500GB HD (up to 1TB HD or 1TB SSD)
            • 48 Wh lithium polymer battery
            • 45W power adapter
            • Up to 8 hours usage
            • One USB 3.0 port
            • One USB 2.0 port
            • One HDMI port
            • One Pop-Down RJ45 Network port (r8169)
            • 802.11n WiFi (ath9k)
            • 720p camera

Pretty nice IMO.

But they already seem to have late... it was supposed to be shipped in august

Comment

Originally posted by jake_lesser View Post

What is your fetish with ThinkPads? [...]
              Which laptops would you suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by jake_lesser View Post

What is your fetish with ThinkPads? they are the only laptops BSDs can almost decently run on so that sooner they are gone, the better. Also, ThinkPads were designed by former evil empire IBM during a time when they where evil and f__k buddies with M$ and hated Linux. Today, they are mad by Lenovo which is worse then the NSA and CIA put togther.

Thinkpads are so backward:
                - Crap that no one uses
                - Fn and Ctrl swapped
                - allowing BSD and other rapist license crap to run while others avoid them and encourage GPL

I don't know which cave you crawled from, but I will explain:
                - We are not 1993, so you are bit off, by more or less 20 years. Now Thinkpads have one of the best 6-row keyboards laptop may have. I suggest try one.
                - Thinklight + backlid keyboard.
                - The only crap that is used on the International Space Station
                - You can swap back Fn and Ctrl from BIOS.
                - Trackpad + Touchpad, and sometimes it is more confortable to use the Trackpad
                - You are ignorant as crap, BSD, GPL, MIT, etc. is a software and license, and has nothing to do with the hardware.

And my fetish comes from:
                Build quality, especially TXXXs series. Magnesium body, carbon fiber top. Military strength tests. Spill resistant keyboard. CD, that can be replaced with HDD tray. Easy access to memory, HDD, mSata, Linux friendly. With price from Lenovo Store in USA around $900, is not so bad.

I personally own T430s, and can easy say it is the best laptop I have ever used. Good looking, feels tough, convenient keyboard. Has Coreboot support, but unfortenately, not everything is marked as working, and in order to flash, needs soldering.

Comment

horizonbrave I suggest TXXXs series. A lot of work is already done for them, the only thing that remains is polishing of Coreboot. I will gladly support kickstarter campaign for polishing.

Comment

Today, they are mad by Lenovo which is worse then the NSA and CIA put togther.
                    [/QUOTE]

If it weren't for this, statement, I'd be hunting you down right now.

It's clear from this statement that you're no different from the BSD losers like Jordan Hubbard who use Macbook Pros and run their dog food on VMs. Despicable and appalling. The 7-row keyboard is far superior to that 6-row crap. It's clear you don't use function keys because and love deciding whether function lock is on when using volume buttons. You apparently love playing Spiderman when doing Alt-FX like on the MacBook Pro.

Originally posted by Drago
                    Now Thinkpads have one of the best 6-row keyboards laptop may have. I suggest try one.
                    And they raped then threw acid on to my perfect delete key and end key. Now I have to look at the keyboard whenever I use home/end, pgup/pgdown, ScrLk, insert, PrtSc and function keys. I almost forgot to mention, there?s also no media keys now. Good fking work (LOL)novo.

Lenovo mutilated the 7-row keyboard into the 6-row "Macbook" keyboard the same way all Chinese people do foot binding. That's a fact.

Cause I don't need to fking have the lights on with Thinklight the same way I need with a backlit 6-row crapboard. I read printed scripts when typing (real work un-like you).

- Crap that no one uses
                    Like you.

- Fn and Ctrl swapped
                    WAAAHHH!!! WAAAHHH!!!

Are you kidding me, touchpads feels like using BSD while having your arm twisted behind your back by Apple. You obviously never used a trackpad so STFU and GTFO.

It?s clear that David Hill and the Losers and (LOL)novo use MacBook Pro?s at home and for day to day work such as creating Thinkpads the same way BSD devs use MacBook Pro with VMWare to run BSD.

The best thing Librem should do is reverse engineer the T520, T420, X220 and X220 tablet. To hell with jake_lesser and Drago

Comment

Working...
                    X