Intel Releases Production-Ready OpenGL 4.4 Driver, But Only For Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Releases Production-Ready OpenGL 4.4 Driver, But Only For Windows

Phoronix: Intel Releases Production-Ready OpenGL 4.4 Driver, But Only For Windows

While there's been an Intel OpenGL 4.4 Windows driver available for the latest HD/Iris Graphics hardware since earlier this year, it seems out now is their first production driver release for Windows 7 / 8.1 / 10 that supports OpenGL 4.4 for all their capable hardware that includes Skylake...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OSX have 4.1 opengl? If yes, mesa will run forward Apple soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharma View Post
      OSX have 4.1 opengl? If yes, mesa will run forward Apple soon.

osx have some kind of opengl 4.1, the worst performance drivers out there

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

osx have some kind of opengl 4.1, the worst performance drivers out there
        I wish they would switch to mesa, not sure how much it would take to do that. It really is the only way to get drivers that can stand up to windows. Doesn't seem like they have much secret sauce to hide.

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
          I wish they would switch to mesa, not sure how much it would take to do that. It really is the only way to get drivers that can stand up to windows. Doesn't seem like they have much secret sauce to hide.
          I suppose that could be done if they base off the freebsd fork of the kernel drivers, but then they would be perpetually behind hardware support.

Comment

The majority of the feature meat is in 4.3, and everything from that is in very deep progress (CS, SSBOs, AoA). What's left of 4.4 and 4.5 are peanuts and generic driver sugar (which still take time and effort of course, but it's not comparable IMO). Maybe query buffers are a bit complicated depending on HW, but I can't comment on that.

Comment

As Apple announcements yesterday indicate, OS X is on it's path to be merged with iOS, and it's OpenGL support being shelved and not further developed. Either use Metal, or else.

Comment

can we have performance comparison Windows driver vs. Linux driver on SKL graphics?

Comment

Working...
                X