Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Creates Radeon Technologies Group To Focus On Graphics

Phoronix: AMD Creates Radeon Technologies Group To Focus On Graphics

For those that haven't heard yet, AMD has formed the Radeon Technologies Group for focusing on their graphics division...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Koduri has also been responsible for leading AMD's LiquidVR(TM) initiative to deliver the best possible virtual reality (VR) experiences through the development of new technologies and partnerships designed to make everything from gaming to VR cinema every bit as immersive and interactive as the real world.

Proprietary windows-only technology. Let's guess what we can expect to come from this.

Comment

fudzilla claims that AMD has solid a 20% stake in their company to an investment group that owns Dell.

source: http://www.fudzilla.com/news/process...percent-of-amd
      Last edited by hajj_3; 10 September 2015, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Personally this change will affect Nvidia's market share in the next few years for desktop computing. AMD GPU's is killing Nvidia's top end GPU's in DirectX12 at the moment. AMD is putting in more effort into DirectX 12, but not sure about Vulkan.

AMD's Vulkan driver should also be very good since it will implement OpenGL 4.2 & OpenGL ES 3.0 (in Mesa 11.0), since that is what Vulkan devices need to implement their drivers.

AMD is moving slowing towards supporting better open-source AMD drivers in Linux, that is visible, for example the new AMDGPU driver, the Sync to V-Blank option in X and their driver also works very well in Wayland.

Long story short, I'll be buying the next range of AMD GPU's and get me a AMD Zen CPU
        First DX12 gaming benchmark shows R9 290X going toe-to-toe with a GTX 980 Ti.

Comment

If I'm remembering right I think he's one of the guys responsible for developing the dolphin chipset for gamecube.

Comment

I can't imagine this could be good news for Linux. At best, nothing will change, and the support will continue.

ATI wasn't good for Linux, they only were after AMD forced them too. This could just be something that the private investor wants, the one that is putting a lot of money into AMD. To support CPU-development, with no changes to the other policies.

The Radeon division sure has something else on there top priorities list than open source drivers. If anything has to be cut off, this is probably one of the first things to be cut off.

Comment

Originally posted by Vassili View Post
              I can't imagine this could be good news for Linux. At best, nothing will change, and the support will continue.

ATI wasn't good for Linux, they only were after AMD forced them too. This could just be something that the private investor wants, the one that is putting a lot of money into AMD. To support CPU-development, with no changes to the other policies.

The Radeon division sure has something else on there top priorities list than open source drivers. If anything has to be cut off, this is probably one of the first things to be cut off.
              I wouldn't worry about that., Very soon Catalyst will depend on OSS code in the form of the amdgpu kernel driver. If anything I'd say AMD has taken a big step towards OSS and away proprietary. I don't think that's going to change considering the horrible state the current catalyst driver is in.

EDIT: I consider this good news. It means AMD has more money to work with and they still hold a majority stake. That's all good news. So far I'm kinda liking Lisa Su. She seems to be making reasonable decisions that build up the company instead tearing it down like past CEOs did.
              Last edited by duby229; 09 September 2015, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by A_M_Z View Post
                AMD GPU's is killing Nvidia's top end GPU's in DirectX12 at the moment.
                The Fury X is the same as the 980 Ti in that benchmark. It's hard to imagine that's "killing" nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by Vassili View Post

Just remember: http://www.pcgamer.com/steamboy-or-s...steam-machine/

Is using AMD's CPU & GPU running Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

The Fury X is the same as the 980 Ti in that benchmark. It's hard to imagine that's "killing" nvidia.
                    I don't see the Fury X in that comparison. Can you confirm this?

Comment

Working...
                    X