Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running An X.Org Server On 64-bit ARM Can Be A Chore

Phoronix: Running An X.Org Server On 64-bit ARM Can Be A Chore

While for many Phoronix readers it's been many years since being required to fiddle around with the X.Org Server's xorg.conf in order to configure your graphics adapter / monitor to get the X Server up and running, for 64-bit ARM (AArch64) a manual configuration may still be needed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wouldn't it be better to focus all effort on getting ARM to run Wayland at feature parity instead of trying to make X.Org work on it?

Comment

I'm wondering as well. Unless there are X.org-dependent applications that are compiled for ARM processors.

Comment

Making Linux list it as the boot vga sounds like the right solution to me.

Comment

I don't understand the problem. You have a platform, you install xorg with the platform driver and it works. If you have multiple graphics, you need multiple platform drivers.
          I have more problems configuring Xorg on a pc platform. Fortunately, arm platforms still have serial consoles.

Comment

I wrote post on which phoronix post is based on. And let me answer your comments:

Aeder: Wayland works fine. But it is still secondary environment compared to X11.

@GraysonPeddie: this is AArch64, not ARM. I run normal KDE session on it, can use Libreoffice, watch movies and still plenty of cpu time left.

AJenbo: we already agreed about going that way

Ardje: serial console is fine for debugging and emergencies. Are you using your x86 desktop only via serial line?

Comment

Ardje: serial console is fine for debugging and emergencies. Are you using your x86 desktop only via serial line?[/QUOTE]
              I use intel arch mostly through network (servers): either ssh or when indeed in emergency: a console server that connects to the serial console.
              The term emergency is overrated, since I always do normal network reconfigurations by serial console.
              80% fo my arms are reachable using serial console ;-). My arm desktop too. And it's so refreshing.
              The intel desktop is 99% used for gaming, as the catalyst driver doesn't really work for my desktop usage.

Comment

Working...
              X