No announcement yet.

The Performance Gains Made By AMD's RadeonSI Open-Source Driver In Two Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Performance Gains Made By AMD's RadeonSI Open-Source Driver In Two Years

Phoronix: The Performance Gains Made By AMD's RadeonSI Open-Source Driver In Two Years

Earlier this week we took a look at the AMD Radeon R600 Gallium3D performance over two years by benchmarking every Ubuntu Linux release since early 2013 with a Radeon HD 6000 series graphics card. Today up for your viewing pleasure are the results from a similar test but using a Radeon Rx 200 series graphics card with the newer RadeonSI Gallium3D driver for open-source AMD GCN GPUs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hi Michael,

Very nice article. My only recommendation would be to include git performance next time.

RadeonSI is such a wonderful driver. It on wayland makes all other non-intel configurations look bad. Though, sadly, it makes AMD look pretty bad as they clearly have these excellent graphics cards with bad catalyst drivers. They should be annihilating nvidia but they are actually slightly behind due to bad optimization :'(

Comment

Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
      My only recommendation would be to include git performance next time.
      Don't skip the first page, Michael explained on the first page that the R9 270X isn't stable with git code.

I would prefer the test with 290, even if it doesn't work on older ubuntu releases...

Comment

A similar r9 290 comparison could be done in future if there's enough interest/support.

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

Don't skip the first page, Michael explained on the first page that the R9 270X isn't stable with git code.

I would prefer the test with 290, even if it doesn't work on older ubuntu releases...
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
          Hi Michael,

Very nice article. My only recommendation would be to include git performance next time.

RadeonSI is such a wonderful driver. It on wayland makes all other non-intel configurations look bad. Though, sadly, it makes AMD look pretty bad as they clearly have these excellent graphics cards with bad catalyst drivers. They should be annihilating nvidia but they are actually slightly behind due to bad optimization :'(
          Are there any Wayland native OpenGL apps yet?

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post

What is that even supposed to mean? You use toolkits like FreeGLUT or SDL2 for games or 3D applications.
            Last edited by blackout23; 11 September 2015, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post

Well, anything that uses SDL2 is native, i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Well, anything that uses SDL2 is native, i guess.
                Or Qt5 or GTK3...

Comment

Anyone see that RadeonSi is faster than Catalyst on Windows on DOTA2 with both machines using OpenGL?

This video's focus for the benchmark and review are solely on the performance of AMD's driver with the native versions of Dota 2 Reborn on Ubuntu and Windows...

Comment

Too bad Ubuntu 15.10 (Wily) with LLVM 3.7 + Mesa 11 isn't included in this benchmarks yet... it would make the 2y progression look even more impressive!

Comment

Working...
                    X