No announcement yet.

The Linux 4.3 Kernel Is Bringing Many New Features & Improvements, But No KDBUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux 4.3 Kernel Is Bringing Many New Features & Improvements, But No KDBUS

Phoronix: The Linux 4.3 Kernel Is Bringing Many New Features & Improvements, But No KDBUS

Linus Torvalds released Linux 4.3-rc1 yesterday, a day earlier than planned, to ward off any subsystem/driver maintainers from sending in last-day pull requests. With the merge window now closed for Linux 4.3, here's a look at our highlights for the new and improved functionality of this next Linux kernel release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Say what you want but at least nouveau handles space invaders :P

Comment

Interestingly, KDBUS wasn't merged for Linux 4.3
      and I hope it'll never happen.

Comment

i hope it does for 4.4, i've been testing it and so far seems a nice improvement especially in KDE that uses dbus a lot and that is incluing no software uses it properly yet(including memfds) to take advantage of the extremely cool stuff like zero copy of 512k+ data or advanced auditing capabilities(you can check on console tho).

My only but would be please break dbus1 compatibility on kernel side and emulate it on userspace(even if it is slower since regular dbus is very slow anyway), so more efficiency improvements can be done to the kernel side protocol part and call it a day and voila dbus-2.0. Since only the tinfoil hat aliens control the NSA crowd will be against(and is not like they matter in any useful way anyway), i'm pretty sure the rest of the community will take the upgrade quite fast.

Doing so, is likely they can add/improve low level kernel sides functionality and integration for drivers and subsystems that desperately needs it

Comment

"With the Linux VMWgfx kernel driver plus Mesa 11.0+, when using VMware Workstation 12 there will now be OpenGL 3.3 support exposed to Linux guest VMs rather than OpenGL 4.1."

am i reading this right?

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
            "With the Linux VMWgfx kernel driver plus Mesa 11.0+, when using VMware Workstation 12 there will now be OpenGL 3.3 support exposed to Linux guest VMs rather than OpenGL 4.1."

am i reading this right?
            Should be 2.1, not 4.1

Comment

Working...
            X