Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System XVI Is A New, Modular Service Manager

Phoronix: System XVI Is A New, Modular Service Manager

The newest open-source service/init manager trying to compete with systemd is System XVI...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

just one simple question: WHY?

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
      just one simple question: WHY?
      Because the developers apparently take issue with systemd being Linux-centric. That is a perfectly valid complaint but I can't see this project getting to much traction... Gentoo and Slackware are the only two make holdouts, everyone else has gone with systemd. The only major player that might look at this is Debian because of Debian/FreeBSD but im not sure how alive that project really is
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Also if you scroll down to the bottom of the readme the author either has a self a deprecating sense of humor, or this is a gag-project.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Well, if nothing else at least it shows that systemd isn't the panacea people think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Because the developers apparently take issue with systemd being Linux-centric. That is a perfectly valid complaint but I can't see this project getting to much traction... Gentoo and Slackware are the only two make holdouts, everyone else has gone with systemd. The only major player that might look at this is Debian because of Debian/FreeBSD but im not sure how alive that project really is
            valid complaint, but I though the most accepted answer was that it was preferable to introduce the missing kernel features in the other kernels rather than dumb down the process manager.

Comment

"I don't like how systemd only runs on Linux, so I will make a cross-platform init system that is GPL 3.0 licensed so that BSD folks will not use it.. making it a Linux only init system in practice."

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Also if you scroll down to the bottom of the readme the author either has a self a deprecating sense of humor, or this is a gag-project.
                i couldn't work out if he is serious either especially with the section "What are your problems with systemd?" In one sentence he trolls systemd (i.e. monolithic) then explains its not as big as claimed and split into 69 binaries. And the rest of it seems ambiguous as to whether or not he really dislikes.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
                  "I don't like how systemd only runs on Linux, so I will make a cross-platform init system that is GPL 3.0 licensed so that BSD folks will not use it.. making it a Linux only init system in practice."
                  It's also valid for GNU/HURD.

Comment

The fact that it's GPL 3.0 and well... shit by the authors own admission. Kinda instantly disqualifies it from serious consideration one way or the other.

Licensing under GPL 3.0 automatically means that any claim as to it being cross platform while systemd is linux specific is instantly null and void as the BSDs aren't about to touch it with a 10 foot pole, Further a nasty codebase will naturally disincentivise adoption. The besides of which is the argument that systemd being linux specific is a mark against it is vacuous reasoning as the previous situation has always been OS and even distro specific init systems, where systemd finally provides unification on the distro side.

Comment

Working...
                    X