Mozilla's Project Candle Aiming To Improve Firefox's Power Efficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla's Project Candle Aiming To Improve Firefox's Power Efficiency

Phoronix: Mozilla's Project Candle Aiming To Improve Firefox's Power Efficiency

Mozilla's Project Candle is getting lit up as an effort to reduce the power consumption of Firefox on desktop and mobile devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seeing as how Firefox is being practically rewritten from scratch (between Electrolysis, Servo, gimping the extensions API), I wonder where this project hooks in.

Comment

It's a shame the "So it only made sense that we would give it the most advanced modem we’ve ever designed." suggests it has an on-die baseband processor.

That tends me mean that the OS on the main processor is vulnerable to exploits via a proprietary, closed-source OS which can DMA into and out of the main processor's memory. (Same reason I steer clear of chips with Intel AMT... though that's more a case of "proprietary OS running on its own core in Ring -3", threat-wise.)

Comment

"Interested in seeing some fresh Linux browser power consumption or desktop power use benchmarks?"

I'd be interested in seeing the actual numbers... Firefox vs Chrome (and I'd throw in Vivaldi if it wasn't alpha material), and/or Gnome vs KDE 5.

Comment

Things I want to see support for in Firefox:
          • Wayland
          • Indicators for which tab uses microphone, web cam, or is playing audio
          • HTML5 input type for date, datetime, and time.
          • Support for the dialog element.
          • Support for syntax highlighting of JSON, JavaScript and CSS in the View Page Source.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            It's a shame the "So it only made sense that we would give it the most advanced modem we’ve ever designed." suggests it has an on-die baseband processor.

That tends me mean that the OS on the main processor is vulnerable to exploits via a proprietary, closed-source OS which can DMA into and out of the main processor's memory. (Same reason I steer clear of chips with Intel AMT... though that's more a case of "proprietary OS running on its own core in Ring -3", threat-wise.)
            Wrong thread, but that was what came into my mind as I read that sentence, too.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Things I want to see support for in Firefox:
              • Wayland WIP, AFAIK
              • Indicators for which tab uses microphone, web cam, or is playing audio the latter is in the Nightlies
              • HTML5 input type for date, datetime, and time. true, sadly. As a Web dev, I've been missing this.

Emphasized parts mine.

Comment

Since the Wayland subject was brought up...

Electrolysis: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis (targeting maybe Firefox ~43)
                Gtk3 port: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1193807 and https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=gtk3 (targeting Firefox ~42)
                Wayland: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=635134 (targeting Firefox ?)

For Wayland, since gtk3 is one of the blockers, maybe we are not so far away from default support...

[I know that Fedora's case is different, as they build it already with gtk3 AFAIK. I am looking at the generic case here]

It looks like by the end of 2015 Firefox might see some nice improvements on Linux!

Anyone knows what is the status of OMTC?

Comment

Blocking ads on sites with excessive flash ads does wonders for power consumption...

Comment

I'm guessing that by the time that Electrolysis is stable and in the stable release, servo will be in a alpha release state

Comment

Working...
                    X