Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualcomm's QuIC Adds Open-Source DRM For Brand New Snapdragon 820

Phoronix: Qualcomm's QuIC Adds Open-Source DRM For Brand New Snapdragon 820

Qualcomm's Innovation Center (QuIC) sent out patches this morning for providing open-source hardware enablement for their new Snapdragon 820 (MSM8996) via the free software MSM DRM/KMS driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is fucking awesome!
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Michael, that 2nd sentence is a bit of a mouthful
      it looks like i wrote it

don't be afraid to split sentences and repeat nouns (to a degree, ofc)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        This is fucking awesome!
        When you posted that, "I'm gonna pop some tags" slammed to my attention without prompting. Looks like I'm overdue for bed if my brain's acting that way.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

When you posted that, "I'm gonna pop some tags" slammed to my attention without prompting. Looks like I'm overdue for bed if my brain's acting that way.
          +1...

Comment

>open source
            >has baseband backdoor built in on die like with vPro

Why even bother...

Comment

Originally posted by The Walking Glitch View Post
              >open source
              >has baseband backdoor built in on die like with vPro

Why even bother...
              well, I guess there will be that debate about every device w/ built-in modem. In theory the same hw features used to implement secure playback could be used to isolate the modem from the APP processors memory.

Anyway, if you are paranoid, stick to 80xy devices (with no modem or external modem) vs 89xy devices (internal modem)

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
                Anyway, if you are paranoid, stick to 80xy devices (with no modem or external modem) vs 89xy devices (internal modem)
                And for the conspiracy theorist foil hat wearing degree of paranoia... 8016 (and probably others) actually *have* a built in modem that is just disabled.... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

And for the conspiracy theorist foil hat wearing degree of paranoia... 8016 (and probably others) actually *have* a built in modem that is just disabled.... or is it?
                  no idea, could be same die but with some efuses blown to disable the block.. either way, I think the result is the same

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post

no idea, could be same die but with some efuses blown to disable the block.. either way, I think the result is the same
                    This. They don't disable it in software like Intel, they actually laser the fuses on the die.

I'm not saying Qualcomm built it as a backdoor, but that's what it effectively is.

Comment

Working...
                    X