Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian To Stop Spinning New CD ISOs

Phoronix: Debian To Stop Spinning New CD ISOs

It was decided at this year's DebConf to stop producing new CD ISOs/images for future Debian updates onward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Blu-rays?! Is Debian really that fat?

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
      No, but the create cd-s/dvd-s with most of the packet from repo so you can easy use debian offline.

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
        Debian, at least in the past, made their entire package repository available offline in the form of ISO's. I can easily see that needing a blu-ray
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Seems like a decent plan to me. As long as the net install remains CD compatible then I have no complaints. I figure a single DVD should be able to support the bare minimum of all major desktop environments, though I think it'd make sense for the main install disc only support GTK2 environments while having a separate disc for all GTK3-depentent packages, and another disk for all Qt4 + Qt5 packages. That's just me though, I'm sure it won't be done that way.
          Last edited by schmidtbag; 15 September 2015, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Meh, optical media seems rather dead if you ask me.

Many computers don't even have optical drives.
            I prefer to install over USB with a flash memory stick.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Meh, optical media seems rather dead if you ask me.

Many computers don't even have optical drives.
              I prefer to install over USB with a flash memory stick.
              Right, but how do you usually install over USB? A lot of the time, that's done using unetbootin with existing ISOs. When using that, DVD images can make life a lot easier (compared to CD). Anyway, there are ways to boot ISOs directly from USB drives too, which is what I do.
              Last edited by schmidtbag; 15 September 2015, 02:09 PM.

Comment

dd is your friend to make usb bootable

Comment

Originally posted by crash View Post
                  dd is your friend to make usb bootable

Yeah I've just been DD'ing Linux ISO's to usb for a while now and they usually just work

Comment

I've always just use the netinstall images. Really not much point to downloading a 4GB DVD when you're either only doing a server install or a single desktop environment. In the end it makes for much less of a download and your fresh install is guaranteed to be the latest packages and not needing to do an apt-get upgrade afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                    X