Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 15.9 Linux Benchmarks

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 15.9 Linux Benchmarks

With yesterday's Catalyst 15.9 Linux driver release bringing fixes for a number of Steam Linux games, it's been a busy night benchmarking this latest Catalyst Linux driver release. Here are some initial numbers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ha, only a year after its release, CS:GO already gets a profile.
    Sadly, as far as I understand, profiles are something the open source will never be able to do. And that sets the upper bound on what an open source driver can achieve. Then again, with Vulkan around maybe we won't need profiles?

Comment

Actually mesa does support profiles. All a profile does is set variables and settings to the best possible configuration for a game. That's what drirc does.

EDIT: All you have to do is mess around with drirc to find the best possible configuration and then submit your drirc patches upstream. As long as it doesn't do anything dumb, it'll probably be accepted. At least that's what I've been told.
      Last edited by duby229; 16 September 2015, 09:47 AM.

Comment

For Phoronix reader Dungeon, some OpenArena results.
        Hahaha!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Sadly, as far as I understand, profiles are something the open source will never be able to do.
          Why not? How does being closed or open source impede that?

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
            Why not? How does being closed or open source impede that?
            I think he meant that Mesa developers are against driver workarounds to cover game bugs. But, as already pointed out, there is already some support for this kind of profiles in Mesa. Last time I checked there were some workarounds to a few closed source games that don't quite follow OpenGL specifications. I don't know if there is any support for anything that would actually increase performance on specific games.

Comment

AFAIK the .drirc file and associated driconf control panel app already allow per-app profiles.

EDIT - which duby229 already posted. Never mind
              Test signature

Comment

For Phoronix reader Dungeon, some OpenArena results.
                You should be better if you not cripple some other results

CS:GO was capped on cards on a bit more of 100 fps, but now you have it at around 70 fps... so better explain to readers what in the hell happened there

Comment

I don't think he was talking about those user configurable per-application settings, but paths in the driver specifically tuned for an application.

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post
                    I don't think he was talking about those user configurable per-application settings, but paths in the driver specifically tuned for an application.
                    That's not a good thing to do at all. That's the reason why wine sucks so hard and why Unigine demos are broken so hard. Non-standard behavior should be avoided at all costs. The only acceptable behavior is as defined by specs.

Comment

Working...
                    X