Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HiDPI Cursor Scaling Gets Fixed Ahead Of GNOME 3.18

Phoronix: HiDPI Cursor Scaling Gets Fixed Ahead Of GNOME 3.18

Today's release of Mutter 3.17.92 has an important change for HiDPI users in time for GNOME 3.18...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see this HiDPI stuff getting fixed as I soon could be buying a new Laptop.

With all this HiDPI stuff and since I started to use a TV as Screen for a living room PC, I started to wonder if there is a setting or two missing besides resolution and size of the display.
    How about distance form screen and apparent size?

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post
      Nice to see this HiDPI stuff getting fixed as I soon could be buying a new Laptop.

With all this HiDPI stuff and since I started to use a TV as Screen for a living room PC, I started to wonder if there is a setting or two missing besides resolution and size of the display.
      Note this is a misleading article ... the change referred to is about implementing HIDPI cursors for wayland ... it already works just fine for X11.

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post

Should this setting also take into account your mass and speed? Scale things as you please until it gets comfortable, however gnome scaling is not simply text scaling, it affects DPI. Ability to scale things is a side effect, its real purpose to set correct DPI, so that A4 paper looks same on your screen and on your table.
        Last edited by magika; 17 September 2015, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
          Should this setting also affect your mass and speed? Scale things as you please until it gets comfortable, however gnome scaling is not simply text scaling, it affects DPI. Ability to scale things is a side effect, its real purpose to set correct DPI, so that A4 paper looks same on your screen and on your table.
          Gnome dropped this idea a long time ago and I still think I hate them for it. Gnome now just forces DPI to 96 no matter what the actual DPI is. I guess they got tired of trying to do things correctly.

Then on top of that they made HiDPI yet another hack instead of using DPI correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

Gnome dropped this idea a long time ago and I still think I hate them for it. Gnome now just forces DPI to 96 no matter what the actual DPI is. I guess they got tired of trying to do things correctly.

Then on top of that they made HiDPI yet another hack instead of using DPI correctly.
            I don't know what you are talking about. In 3.16 (and nothing changed with 3.17.91) they have 96 dpi as default and text scaling works from there, because any value provided by X or whatever will be incorrect in 99% of cases so you compute scaling value manually. Then gnome-settings-daemon calculates new dpi as 96*text_scaling_value and sets Xft.dpi (all apps render text using this).
            You can check this using xrdb -q -all.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
              Should this setting also take into account your mass and speed? Scale things as you please until it gets comfortable, however gnome scaling is not simply text scaling, it affects DPI. Ability to scale things is a side effect, its real purpose to set correct DPI, so that A4 paper looks same on your screen and on your table.
              DPI is not for scaling it is a property of a display.
              Try to display a A4 page on your TV and even on FullHD there are not enough pixels to render the text properly and forget about reading it from your couch anyway.
              To bad the text in the menus has the same problem and is unreadable.
              With the 2 added options you could make it look on the TV or every other screen, like it is the same size as the page to hold up with your arms besides the picture on the screen form where your are sitting.

And no, mass and speed are not relevant as both the screen and I have the same spreed and our masses are far from being enough to bend light in any significant way in the scale of indoor applications
              Last edited by slalomsk8er; 25 September 2015, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X