Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Linux Is Looking For Those Still Using 32-bit AMD CPUs

Phoronix: Fedora Linux Is Looking For Those Still Using 32-bit AMD CPUs

Fedora's latest AMD issues aren't about some Catalyst graphics driver problem, but rather for the few still left using a 32-bit USB installation on an AMD processor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If they looking for those they won't find them

But if linux has 1% users and Microsoft reported 70 millions still use 32bit Windows (that is still pretty big number and is matter only of just those who recieved updates monthly, so MS can sniff in there ) , that is probably 700 thousands for Linux in whole... For Fedora only dunno i will let Red Hat do further calculations

That is for the title Now when i read article i can say that Athlon XP does not have SSE2 instruction... there is no what to test, they should make sure of alternative paths if they want to support these or not compile anything with SSE2 on 32bit.
    Last edited by dungeon; 17 September 2015, 12:38 AM.

Comment

I have a x86_64 compatible CPU (pretty sure Athlon X2), but the other day I was trying to install a 32-bit image of Rawhide to this computer. Installer hard-locked the system around 7%, and I can't really think of any reason why (the Live environment booted fine, and disk partitioning was ok to, and afaik, "Installing System" just means it's installing packages to the drive this early in the stage).

Comment

I have a rather "new" thecus nas with an intel CE5315 SoC, and it seems to be a 32 bit atom. So, yes, intel still produces new 32 bit x86 CPU's.

Comment

I fear I lack the time. I do have an Athlon XP, VIA C3, VIA C7, AMD Geode LX, Geode GX and other oldish stuff. But probably too little time for reasonable testing and helping to debug. Especially if things lock up / freeze hard. I guess that also needs some advanced skills to get something useful out of it. Even better then is when they have a GUI installer / splash screens that hide the real content.
          I love text scrolling down and telling me what is happening / going wrong.

Currently I got enough stress with life and a box where udevd occasionally runs amok (might be some strange HW issue, too). But for the sake of backward compatibility of things I might see if I find an hour in the coming weeks and give it a try.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
            I have a rather "new" thecus nas with an intel CE5315 SoC, and it seems to be a 32 bit atom. So, yes, intel still produces new 32 bit x86 CPU's.
            Could you paste the /proc/cpuinfo here to get some more information about this chip? It's virtually impossible to find any details on the internet. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post

Could you paste the /proc/cpuinfo here to get some more information about this chip? It's virtually impossible to find any details on the internet. Thanks!
              Why impossibile

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                If they looking for those they won't find them
                Not entirely true.

I have a machine with AthlonXP in it, which runs Fedora 21 32bit and still running. So how did the OS get installed? Yes, by USB installation.

The primary job of that machine is use ffmpeg to do audio recording and streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  /proc/cpuinfo shows flags: lm, so 64bit

Comment

I still use 32 bit images. I have an old pentium 4 with i Gb of ram. It is x64 but with 1 Gb of ram 32 bit S.O is the best option. Windows sucks for such a limited RAM but linux still rocks.

Comment

Working...
                    X