Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best, Most Efficient Graphics Cards For 1080p Linux Gamers

Phoronix: The Best, Most Efficient Graphics Cards For 1080p Linux Gamers

Earlier this week I posted a graphics card comparison using the open-source drivers and looking at the best value and power efficiency. In today's article is a larger range of AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards being tested under a variety of modern Linux OpenGL games/demos while using the proprietary AMD/NVIDIA Linux graphics drivers to see how not only the raw performance compares but also the performance-per-Watt, overall power consumption, and performance-per-dollar metrics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would love to see a dual bar for proprietary and floss driver for each card in one chart. While not the purpose of the of the article for card buying reasons it might matter for some. I am excited to see these tests. All you need to do is put some amazon links for the cards and should be a good ethical revenue stream.

Comment

Hmm. Elemental demo has its first debute here on phoronix right? Nice!

PS Anyone have 285/380 with opensource driver, I expected closer performance to 960... 60% is not "close" by any means. Is radeonSI better?

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
        Hmm. Elemental demo has its first debute here on phoronix right? Nice!
        No, I've used it a number of times, but sometimes libframetime acts up, etc. Thus isn't used too often... Waiting for the UE4 Linux demos to be rebuilt so ideally will work with the built-in benchmarking functions.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

przemoli
          I have a R9 380, however DPM for Tonga based GPUs doesn't work yet in OSS thats why at now I'm using Catalyst drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
            I would love to see a dual bar for proprietary and floss driver for each card in one chart. While not the purpose of the of the article for card buying reasons it might matter for some. I am excited to see these tests. All you need to do is put some amazon links for the cards and should be a good ethical revenue stream.
            Amazon affiliate fees make up less than 1% of Phoronix revenue right now. I'd need to write like ten of these articles a day and whore the links to actually make it a main revenue stream compared to add...
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Even the latest Catalyst looks like a disaster compared to nvidia blob... And no I didn't buy Tonga 285 to use it with that mess called fglrx that cannot support a distro of the past year and a 6 months released kernel.
              Sincerely I bought it to play games on Windoze and use AMDGPU on Linux side, watching it grow on features and power cause I believe in OSS collaborative work and development and I will always support it. That's why I will NEVER buy an Nvidia card no matter how good performers their blob driver makes them at linux.

@Michael: Nice article man good work, but watch out for paid assassins hired by AMD Catalyst team to make articles like these disappear from the net!

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
                Yeah I would love to see that also !!! I think I would finally subscribe w/ that feature b/c I see to always be looking for that also.

Great work on this article !! I really hope AMD picks up their game buy the time I finally build myself a new PC.

Comment

I wonder will I have to buy nvidia so that I can play Attila: Total War in maximum settings. Before Fury was released I though I could play Attila with Fury with max settings. I don't think so anymore

Comment

I would love to see a "dual bar for proprietary and floss driver for each card in one chart." I would probably subscribe when i see that since i always to find that out.

Comment

Working...
                    X