Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Crosses 1,500 Games Natively Available For Linux

Phoronix: Steam Crosses 1,500 Games Natively Available For Linux

Today marks a huge milestone for Steam on Linux: 1,500 games are natively available! This is quite significant while Windows is at 6,464 and OS X is at 2,323.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I probably buy way more games then I have time to play (I always make sure to do it in Linux to "vote"), but the Borderlands games (2 and pre-sequel), Dying Light, and the Metro Series have been great. Very well made games that run great, and I hate to use the word "port" to describe them working on Linux - I'd just call them cross platform. Looking forward to playing Shadows of Mordor and Arma 3 next.

Comment

I wish Valve would open source L4D2 so I could go in and fix all the bugs that they don't want to be bothered to fix.

Comment

Just a comparison, the PS4 has like 400+ games and the Xbox One has 200+.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          Just a comparison, the PS4 has like 400+ games and the Xbox One has 200+.
          Valve would more like if Steam Machines would sell anywhere near, like those two consoles... blah, just as single one and lower selled one... huh, just to touch worse selled one ... maybe even in history - that should be fine

Btw you should include previous consoles to the number, because you know timing is not right neither all game titles on steam are always new
          Last edited by dungeon; 19 September 2015, 11:32 AM.

Comment

The Talos Principle is my favorite game so far. Breathtaking visuals, beautiful music, challanging puzzles-- there's so much to look at that it got me hooked. Portal 2 is my second favorite, although I wish the storyline could have been a lot longer than 2 hours and 30 minutes that it takes from beginning to end. Celestian Tales: Old North is a great JRPG game with different perspectives from all the 6 characters. I currently play Ylianne (half-elf female) as my main character after I finnished Lucienne's story. The atmosphere with the music and graphics are very nice, although Ylianne's theme from the prologue sets it apart that it makes me want to be an elf.

I did order The Witcher 2, although I am quite lost in the story. I've had a hard time following the dialog so quickly as I only read subtitles (closed captions) and not listen to what people are saying, which puts me off, even though I'm interested in RPG (I know it's not JRPG which has a place within my heart, but I thought I might try out The Witcher 2).

Comment

Happy panda here! Loving the titles VP, Feral and Aspyr have brought us this past year. Very grateful to Desura, Humble Bundle and Valve for kick-starting things in a serious way for us

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                The Talos Principle is my favorite game so far. Breathtaking visuals, beautiful music, challanging puzzles-- there's so much to look at that it got me hooked.
                Yeah Talos is my favorite too, played all 3 endings and Gehenna... but would buy it for Playstation 4 for sure - hopping there would be some difference there
                Last edited by dungeon; 19 September 2015, 11:48 AM.

Comment

My two current favorite games on Steam for Linux are Shadowrun: Hong Kong and Torchlight 2.

But right now I'm running a relatively recent kernel/mesa with the open source radeon drivers, so Steam for Linux won't run. I'm hoping that some time soon Steam will work with the open source radeon drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                    My two current favorite games on Steam for Linux are Shadowrun: Hong Kong and Torchlight 2.

But right now I'm running a relatively recent kernel/mesa with the open source radeon drivers, so Steam for Linux won't run. I'm hoping that some time soon Steam will work with the open source radeon drivers.
                    For mesa i think it is matter of removing gcc libraries from steam or maybe you can try building it with static gcc patch SteamOS use for mesa where removal is not needed (didn't tried that just assume that it works )

But that is not only steam problem, many other games outside of steam which ship old gcc libraries made same problem for radeon driver.
                    Last edited by dungeon; 19 September 2015, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X