No announcement yet.

The State Of DRM/KMS Drivers On Solaris Sounds Worse Off Than The BSD Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State Of DRM/KMS Drivers On Solaris Sounds Worse Off Than The BSD Drivers

Phoronix: The State Of DRM/KMS Drivers On Solaris Sounds Worse Off Than The BSD Drivers

Randy Fishel of Oracle presented at this week's XDC2015 conference about the state of the DRM/KMS graphics drivers on Solaris...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Solaris held some promise during the time of Jonathan Schwartz as the CEO of Sun Microsystems with OpenSolaris.

But I feel like Oracle killed Solaris.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Solaris held some promise during the time of Jonathan Schwartz as the CEO of Sun Microsystems with OpenSolaris.

you feel like... or you know they did?

Comment

There was a time (pre-Oracle) when Sun was a major, major contributor to the open source world. Not too long ago I read that they spent a huge amount of money on pre-release usablity studies for GNOME 2 as it was being developed. They then offered GNOME 2 as an altenative to the proprietary CDE (Common Desktop Environment) on Solaris when it came out. All of us who use MATE today benefit from that work. Maybe Oracle should change their name to Eclipse?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
          They then offered GNOME 2 as an altenative to the proprietary CDE (Common Desktop Environment) on Solaris when it came out. All of us who use MATE today benefit from that work. Maybe Oracle should change their name to Eclipse?
          No, I don't think we can blame Oracle for GNOME 3 being a mess.

However you may also benefit from their OSS contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Solaris has one purpose and one purpose only: to run the Oracle Database. It does that, nothing else matters to Oracle (or anyone else).

Comment

I had interest in Solaris back when it was open source and remember using NexentaOS. It was like Debian with the Solaris kernel. These days Linux has outpaced the other *nix OSes for desktop use. Steam support is now a big advantage for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                Solaris has one purpose and one purpose only: to run the Oracle Database. It does that, nothing else matters to Oracle (or anyone else).
                More than just the database - through acquisitions over the years, Oracle has a lot more products than just their RDBMS, even if that's still the big one. But you're right - Oracle is only concerned about owning the server market, and Solaris is interesting to them only insofar as it promotes that goal. There's no future in Solaris as a workstation/desktop OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

More than just the database - through acquisitions over the years, Oracle has a lot more products than just their RDBMS, even if that's still the big one. But you're right - Oracle is only concerned about owning the server market, and Solaris is interesting to them only insofar as it promotes that goal. There's no future in Solaris as a workstation/desktop OS.
                  Which is extremely shortsighted of them.... Sun used be the backbone of the hardware industry. Sun systems ran all the snazzy cad tools used to design the systems and often even the test equiment and fabrication tools themselves. You see some of that stuff filter out on ebay every so often.

Comment

Working...
                  X