Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Now Supports Another OpenGL 4.5 Extension

Phoronix: RadeonSI Now Supports Another OpenGL 4.5 Extension

One week after ARB_shader_texture_image_samples OpenGL 4.5 was added to core Mesa and the Intel driver, Ilia Mirkin has extended the support to include the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sadly, radeonsi is even more buggy than catalyst for me.
    Using a Kabini APU and XEN i constantly get kernel messages like:
    "BUG: bad rss-counter state mm:<some code here> val:<some number here>"
    Then Apps crash randomly (even bash) and reboot usually fails.

I dont even know where to report or how to debug such severe stuff. And i tend to assume nobody cares about the combination XEN and Kabini. . .

Comment

Well, usually the first place to report is based on the author of the file where the BUG statement is in. How to debug these things is another story.

With respect to the apparently rare use case there is the problem that developers often don't run these combinations and, hence can not reproduce the bugs, but if you are willing to invest time in fixing this, they make offer you patches and walk you through. For example once upon a time I hit a bug in the linux kernel when 1GB of ram and having a TV video card at the same time was still rare, I reported it an together with some kernel developers we fixed it.

Anyway, if you don't even try to report it, nobody will now about the bug, and hence nobody can try to fix it.

Comment

Sounds like a plan. Going to find the message in kernel sources and email the next guy in this context.
        Sorry for being OT

Comment

Component: DRM/radeon

Comment

Otoh, catalyst causes general slowness, and unresponsive plasma for me, whereas radeonsi is fine. Also, I can't run a wayland desktop (yet) with Catalyst. :/

Nice to see more OGL support--the two OGL 4.3 games I have refuse to load with radeonsi, even if I lie about the OGL version. Unfortunately, there's no output about which specific extensions aren't supported.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
              Sadly, radeonsi is even more buggy than catalyst for me.
              Using a Kabini APU and XEN i constantly get kernel messages like:
              "BUG: bad rss-counter state mm:<some code here> val:<some number here>"
              Then Apps crash randomly (even bash) and reboot usually fails.

I dont even know where to report or how to debug such severe stuff. And i tend to assume nobody cares about the combination XEN and Kabini. . .
              What distro/{kernel,mesa} versions? Did you ask in this section of the forum http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum...urce-AMD-Linux ? As was suggested, report the bugs, but make sure to search for similar bugs before reporting, it could have been fixed.

I googled it, and it seems to be related to XEN itself...

Comment

Using 3D acceleration is a great source of crash if used on a XEN host. Sometime it's fine, you update mesa, it's crashing all the time and your thinking it's mesa until booting without XEN fixe it. I began using XEN with the Kernel 2.6.27 & fglrx and it was not stable (I don't think you can even use fglrx on a XEN host anymore).

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                  Sounds like a plan. Going to find the message in kernel sources and email the next guy in this context.
                  Sorry for being OT
                  Before filling a bug it always make sanse to try newest version in case you use something older... you know maybe it is already fixed.

Comment

Working...
                  X