No announcement yet.

KDE / Qt Fiber Web Browser To Take The Reasonable Approach To Dealing With Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE / Qt Fiber Web Browser To Take The Reasonable Approach To Dealing With Ads

Phoronix: KDE / Qt Fiber Web Browser To Take The Reasonable Approach To Dealing With Ads

Fiber, the new open-source web browser aligned with Qt/KDE and is generating a fair amount of interest, has laid out details regarding their planned ad policy...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think Ken Vermette has a dog in this fight.
    Anyway the best approach to ads is the new Google Phone Service.

Comment

I have been using privacy badger for a little while now and it seems to be blocking great swathes of tracking cookies

Comment

One of the reasons I don't even consider leaving Firefox is because I trust nothing else to provide reliably-functioning *cough*chrome*cough* equivalents for my stack of half a dozen tracking-blocking extensions. (To be fair, ad-blocking comes as a side-effect of tracking blocking... but I do also block ads for performance reasons. Firefox is sluggish and stuttery as it is and ?Block gives noticeable speed-ups.)

Comment

Also it is important to note that Michael does actively try to prevent malicious scripts from being triggered on this site. The problem is, and this important, that most site operators don't give a damn. Linux users tend to be more educated and know that so they actively block scripts. Windows users on the other hand tend to not know their left hand from their right. And so they get heavily targeted. Pretty much every wndows machine on this planet is infected with malware because of malicious scripts run from the web browser. It is by far the very worst vector of infection in existence.

My advice is to allow ads for phoronix, they are largely safe. If you do find a malicious script, then let Michael know, he'll take care of it.

EDIT: But universally not blocking scripts is dumb, You should only trust sites that can be trusted like Phoronix.

EDIT: And that speed up thing, it's true, but a few milliseconds of your time is worth spending.
          Last edited by duby229; 20 September 2015, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Recently, due to the unresponsive CDN's of the ads made me enable AdBlock while browsing Phoronix. See, sometimes AdBlock can be really useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Modu View Post
              Recently, due to the unresponsive CDN's of the ads made me enable AdBlock while browsing Phoronix. See, sometimes AdBlock can be really useful.
              Did you think of notifying me about any unresponsive CDNs so I can complain to my ad networks to get it fixed/changed, etc?
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

"I have been using privacy badger for a little while now and it seems to be blocking great swathes of tracking cookies " Same here. It is great.

Honestly, Michael, your site is the only site that I have ever turned the ads off for. The last time I did not have an ad blocker for the internet, there were popups all over the place, ads showing up when you hover the mouse over random text, on and on and on. I get that there is no great solution, but sheesh. Screw the early 2000s internet.

Comment

I don't use adblocking extensions from browsers, but I do use a amalgamated hosts file (Steven Black's) that on-top of blocking known malicious websites, also blocks ads, and does this globally throughout the entire system.

Not entirely related, but apparently ads have been present in my Gmail for a while now under the Promotions tab (and with that above hosts file). That imo is how ads should be presented (non-intrusive to the point of me not even knowing they're there most of the time). Facebook has ads on the sidebar and (more intrusively) in the feed. It's better than having them pop-up and require any direct user interaction to get rid of them I guess.

For the record, I don't directly care about blocking ads; but I don't necessarily approve of the tracking most ads do, nor am I a fan of the malicious ones. I don't like stopping web hosts from earning money, but I gotta watch my own back first

On another note, didn't Google have some kind of new advertising program designed to stop the traditional intrusive methods?
                  Extending and consolidating hosts files from a variety of sources like adaway.org, mvps.org, malwaredomains.com, someonewhocares.org, yoyo.org, and potentially others.
                  Last edited by Guest; 20 September 2015, 10:49 AM.

Comment

This is for you, Mr. Ken,

Comment

Working...
                    X