Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64-bit ARM Is Becoming Usable For Day-To-Day Linux Desktop

Phoronix: 64-bit ARM Is Becoming Usable For Day-To-Day Linux Desktop

If you're lucky enough to find some capable 64-bit ARM (AArch64) hardware, the latest open-source Linux packages are working out well in the 64-bit ARM world for providing a decent Linux desktop experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What a cool board, and in a standard form factor too. I'd love to buy one and start playing with it, maybe at the $395 price point. At $1495, not so much. I guess some vendors haven't figured out yet, that if you want your hardware to be embraced and well supported by the Linux community, you've got to make it accessible to individuals, not just well funded corporate R&D departments...

Comment

I wonder what you will write from my next posts...

Comment

There isn't a Chromium/Chrome 65-bit Linux build
        Well, I'm not surprised.

Comment

Dragonboard 410c runs Ubuntu. Unfortunately, you can't plug in a regular desktop graphics card or sata disks, but it does run with Freedreno nicely

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
            Well, I'm not surprised.
            Yeah but 65 bits is *twice* as good as 64 bits, it's the future!!!

Comment

What does make these dev boards so expensive? I mean, I know they probably have an extra chip or two, and some extra interfaces, and they probably do low-volume runs...I could imagine paying $600 for a board like this, maybe $800, plus $50 or so for the PSU and $20 for the UART->USB cable. $1400? No way.

Comment

Much better get a Intel NUC powered by a Intel Atom.
                If you need more power than Atom, there is also i3, i5 and i7.

Comment

ARM really needs a standard boot system (BIOS?). It is stupid to expect anyone to look for an exact build of an operating system which matches their exact board model number.

I think if boards were produced in bulk they would be cheaper.

Bloatware like Gnome 3 would probably not work so well with these machines anyway (rarely GPU support) and thats what all the cool kids are using for their desktop anyway right?

Comment

ARM64 with decent 4 GB memory, SATA, USB3, GB ethernet and most importantly PCI-E graphics cards - starting to be very interesting - for Android..
                    Linux usage still isnt too much sexy (except future end customer price) maybe browser only / media box computer / ssh terminal.. otherwise no - Wine, noSteam, no lots of thing probably, i guess.. - What about coding - is some decent IDE on ARM available? And Inkscape, gimp, home video / sound editing?

And what about beefly Nvidia shield console, is it 64bit? Could be Linux installed on it?
                    Last edited by ruthan; 21 September 2015, 01:57 PM. Reason: Shield

Comment

Working...
                    X