Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pkg 1.6.0 Is Coming Soon To FreeBSD

Phoronix: Pkg 1.6.0 Is Coming Soon To FreeBSD

Pkg 1.6.0 is coming in the days ahead to FreeBSD as the latest updates to their package manager for this BSD distribution and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux-compatibility.

I wonder if any Linux distribution will adopt pkg, I guess not.

Does it have any technical merits?

How does it compare to .deb and .rpm?
    To apt and yum?

Comment

I'm wondering where *BSD beasts go as I can't see no plan of any [GP]-GPU support. Many applications are now using on a daily basis such acceleration. With no serious support of such things (there are others) I can't any serious future to this really nice OS.

Comment

Originally posted by adakite View Post
        I'm wondering where *BSD beasts go as I can't see no plan of any [GP]-GPU support. Many applications are now using on a daily basis such acceleration. With no serious support of such things (there are others) I can't any serious future to this really nice OS.
        OpenCL support with Clover (Gallium) and Beignet (Intel) was committed to 11-CURRENT a few days ago as for CUDA and OpenCL with nvidia, that's up to nvidia...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Linux-compatibility.

I wonder if any Linux distribution will adopt pkg, I guess not.

Does it have any technical merits?

How does it compare to .deb and .rpm?
          To apt and yum?
          There's no need for any linux adopt pkgng because there is no technical merits. apt and yum are far ahead and are advancing far faster then pkgng or pkgin so Linux pkg man will always be ahead of BSD crap.

BSD also doesn't seem to be embracing packages fully and their vanilla repo doesn't even have half of the ports tree (e.g. not Xorg, no elightenment etc.) and you pretty much still have to compile most of the things yourself despite having pkgng (source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh2b2GxU4Hg).

Comment

Originally posted by jake_lesser View Post
            BSD also doesn't seem to be embracing packages fully and their vanilla repo doesn't even have half of the ports tree (e.g. not Xorg, no elightenment etc.) and you pretty much still have to compile most of the things yourself despite having pkgng .
            Today's port count: 25246

# pkg update
            Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
            Fetching meta.txz: 100% 944 B 0.9kB/s 00:01
            Fetching packagesite.txz: 100% 5 MiB 1.4MB/s 00:04
            Processing entries: 100%
            FreeBSD repository update completed. 24568 packages processed.

A lot of what's missing either:
            - Does not apply to my architecture.
            - Does not allow redistribution per licensing.

Comment

Originally posted by adakite View Post
              I'm wondering where *BSD beasts go as I can't see no plan of any [GP]-GPU support.
              They'll go the way of Open(Solaris. GPUs have been to BSDs as what being nice is to Donald Trump. The only hope is NVidia for FreeBSD and nv for OpenBSD but it turns out recently that their drivers are third-rate compared to Linux NVidia drivers showing even NVidia loosing interest in maintaining their BSD port. It's well known they are frustrated with BSD are BSD themselves are poor and keeping to standard which is a thing Linux and even M$ focus on.

Many applications are now using on a daily basis such acceleration. With no serious support of such things (there are others)

FreeBSD, OpenBSD and DragonflyBSD projects to support Intel and Radeon GPUs have been spectacular failures. BSD is even loosing X11 support due to this so the future of graphics in BSD is non-existent.

In fact, BSD has no future
              I can't any serious future to this really nice OS.
              That's a very ill-informed suggestion. The defining properties of all BSDs are poor design, quality, project management, no thriving community and inability to adapt and adopt. BSD is not a nice OS.

It's a cluster-fuck OS no matter how you look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by septianix View Post

Today's port count: 25246

# pkg update
                Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
                Fetching meta.txz: 100% 944 B 0.9kB/s 00:01
                Fetching packagesite.txz: 100% 5 MiB 1.4MB/s 00:04
                Processing entries: 100%
                FreeBSD repository update completed. 24568 packages processed.

A lot of what's missing either:
                - Does not apply to my architecture.
                - Does not allow redistribution per licensing.
                That's not the official repo. That's a 3rd party repo and they are very dangerous as BSD unlike Linux does not have strict oversight as to who compile their packages.

Comment

Originally posted by q66_ View Post

OpenCL support with Clover (Gallium) and Beignet (Intel) was committed to 11-CURRENT a few days ago as for CUDA and OpenCL with nvidia, that's up to nvidia...
                  Please provide the source.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_lesser View Post
                    That's not the official repo. That's a 3rd party repo and they are very dangerous as BSD unlike Linux does not have strict oversight as to who compile their packages.
                    Unlike you I'm an actual FreeBSD user and I don't need to pathologically make up 'facts' out of my ass.

I'm using the official 'latest' repo.

From /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf

FreeBSD: {
                    url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",
                    mirror_type: "srv",
                    signature_type: "fingerprints",
                    fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",
                    enabled: yes
                    }

Comment

Working...
                    X