Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fedora 23 Beta Has Been Officially Released

Phoronix: The Fedora 23 Beta Has Been Officially Released

Dennis Gilmore has just announced the on-time release of the Fedora 23 Beta...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone knows if it is possible to test the gnome-wayland session without installing, i.e. from the live-DVD image?
    Last time I tried to do this I couldn't successfully get to the login screen to select the wayland session. It involved something like creating a user with password or something like that, but then te whole thing crashed.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
      Anyone knows if it is possible to test the gnome-wayland session without installing, i.e. from the live-DVD image?
      Last time I tried to do this I couldn't successfully get to the login screen to select the wayland session. It involved something like creating a user with password or something like that, but then te whole thing crashed.
      I haven't tried it with this beta since I have been running it already for far longer but this should be possible from the GDM login screen if you select the Wayland session

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

I haven't tried it with this beta since I have been running it already for far longer but this should be possible from the GDM login screen if you select the Wayland session

The problem is that it automatically logs you in as "liveuser". Even if you turn of autologin for that user I had problems getting to the GDM screen by logging off in the live environment. I even switch to a different TTY and restarted GDM, but it didn't work. You can still just run "gnome-session --session=gnome-wayland" from tty.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

The problem is that it automatically logs you in as "liveuser". Even if you turn of autologin for that user I had problems getting to the GDM screen by logging off in the live environment. I even switch to a different TTY and restarted GDM, but it didn't work. You can still just run "gnome-session --session=gnome-wayland" from tty.
          I had exactly this problem. I'll try your suggestion, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

I had exactly this problem. I'll try your suggestion, thanks!

Make sure to "systemctl disable gdm" first, this should terminate the running X instance. Not sure if there are problems with Gnome running on X11 on one TTY and Gnome on Wayland with an Xwayland server running on another TTY.

Comment

I'm going to try to upgrade to 23-Beta from 22 later this evening, will report back how it goes.

RPMFusion hasn't been upgraded 23 yet so guess I'll be mixing 22 and 23 packages.

Just a reminder that "fedup" has been retired. Anyone seeking to upgrade should use the "dnf-plugin-system-upgrade" package. Syntax for the upgrade is

sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=23
              sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot

All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Is there a way to get RPM Fusion (free and nonfree) to use F22 packages on F23+

Comment

As usual,
                  Intel - good
                  AMD - good/average
                  Nouveau - shitty support
                  After "try out Fedora 23" from the boot menu I had such a hard PC hang that I had to literally pull out the power cord, nothing else worked. Thanks Fedora for not giving a flying fuck about nouveau.
                  This "oh you have nouveau/nvidia, it's not well tested, our devs run Intel, bla-bla" - I'm sick of it by 2015.

Hw: GTX 560 Ti

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                    Is there a way to get RPM Fusion (free and nonfree) to use F22 packages on F23+
                    You have to go into the yum.repos.d folder and manually change it from RELEASEVER to 22. Then change it back after they make the 23 repos
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X