Intel Might Be Moving Closer With Their Mesa Tessellation Shader Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Might Be Moving Closer With Their Mesa Tessellation Shader Support

Phoronix: Intel Might Be Moving Closer With Their Mesa Tessellation Shader Support

The two extensions still blocking the Intel open-source Linux driver from OpenGL 4.0 compliance is ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 and ARB_tessellation shader. It looks like Intel might be getting closer to landing their tessellation enablement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Soooooo cloooooose...
    I'm hoping they jump from advertising 3.3 to advertising 4.2 before the graphics stack freeze of (k)ubuntu 16.04

Comment

Currently Ubuntu 15.10 still uses Mesa 10.6. Backporting Mesa for Intel is relatively easy, you do not need to care about llvm updates, just created a Mesa 11 repo for Debian 8 Jessie - together with a new kernel you can use Jessie now with Broadwell/Skylake too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Currently Ubuntu 15.10 still uses Mesa 10.6. Backporting Mesa for Intel is relatively easy, you do not need to care about llvm updates, just created a Mesa 11 repo for Debian 8 Jessie - together with a new kernel you can use Jessie now with Broadwell/Skylake too.
        Wrong. Ubuntu 15.10 is using Mesa 11.0, built with LLVM 3.6.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post

Wrong. Ubuntu 15.10 is using Mesa 11.0, built with LLVM 3.6.
          To be fair, that just landed today . Yay

Comment

LLVM 3.7 is needed for OpenGL 4 however...

Comment

Please link directly to the repository.
              This Anzwix thing is shit. I hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                LLVM 3.7 is needed for OpenGL 4 however...
                I thought that was only for radeonsi. I don't think other drivers use LLVM for shader code, but I'm not sure about i965.

Comment

Meh. Nobody uses doubles in shaders, and tessellation is very scarce as well (only one that comes to my mind would be Shadow of Mordor, but that one needs compute shaders anyways).

At this point we're really just masturbating about numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                    At this point we're really just masturbating about numbers.
                    At this point? It's *always* been numbers masturbation. You think all those who were rooting for geometry shaders on Sandy Bridge are actually now using geometry shaders on Sandy Bridge? People just want to see mesamatrix as green as possible, purely for the heck of it. Just go with the flow.

Comment

Working...
                    X