Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nintendo Joins The Khronos Group

Phoronix: Nintendo Joins The Khronos Group

It seems that Nintendo quietly joined The Khronos Group this month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It does make sense. That way Vulkan supported titles can be ported to nintendo's hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      It does make sense. That way Vulkan supported titles can be ported to nintendo's hardware.
      And it would ease to process to port any game to android also

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Um, you don't have to join Khronos to be able to use Vulkan. So not sure what you mean.

Comment

I can't see this coming to much. Nintendo is a relic. With shenanigans like trying to ban or suppress Smash Bros. tournaments and Let's Play Youtube videos (both of which are free advertising for Nintendo), they've proven themselves to be completely out-of-touch. They're being propped up by handheld sales and the delusional, frothing-at-the-mouth Nintendo fanboys who refuse to admit that Nintendo is fundamentally anti-consumer. Nintendo is no longer at the forefront of technology, in fact, since the Gamecube, they've been consistently one step behind. I don't think they've got the willingness or expertise to contribute to Khronos.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            since the Gamecube, they've been consistently one step behind. I don't think they've got the willingness or expertise to contribute to Khronos.
            Gamecube had some of the best exclusive titles of it's time. Wii is where Nintendo really started to screw up.

Anyway I think it's cool nintendo joined Khronos, though seems a bit late. I'm not sure what can be expected of them at this point. To my knowledge, none of Nintendo's current hardware is compatible with Vulkan spec, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post

Um, you don't have to join Khronos to be able to use Vulkan. So not sure what you mean.

This gives them early access to the spec so they can start adding vulkan support to their systems and/or being the android ports. It also gives them a chance to tweak the spec if anything in there would work badly on their hardware.

Comment

Seems to me this lends further credence to the rumors that the replacement for the Wii U next year will have an AMD APU inside similar to the ones inside the PS4 and XBone. AMD has already admitted they have a console game design win for their "custom" silicon division. The only new console coming out next year is Nintendo. News on the gaming front is that the hardware has already been shown to third party developers who have sworn off Nintendo in the past and have now said to have been quite "pleased" with what they saw. Also, leaked documents from parts manufacturers who are ramping up production of parts for the next gen Nintendo console show a COMPLETE LACK of IBM parts...ergo...no PowerPC CPU's. No Intel news...and no announcements from Nvidia either.

Now Nintendo joins Kronos. Makes one go...."hmmmmm"

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Gamecube had some of the best exclusive titles of it's time. Wii is where Nintendo really started to screw up.

Anyway I think it's cool nintendo joined Khronos, though seems a bit late. I'm not sure what can be expected of them at this point. To my knowledge, none of Nintendo's current hardware is compatible with Vulkan spec, but I could be wrong.
                  Hmm... You could be right. The GPU in the WiiU is rumored to be based off of the R700 which is GL 3.3 and did not support mantle. That means their interest is either based off of a new console in the works (seems a little soon) or Android ports (Iwata always said 'over his dead body').

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post

I was thinking more along the lines that this gives them earlier access. I don't know their reasoning though, just saying what makes sense in my mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X